Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Went to buy an Ampeg B100R, got something juicy instead!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AMJBASS, Oct 10, 2002.

1. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, I went to the music store to check out the Ampeg B100R today. It is a fabulous amp, very smooth, with a great low end, and a nice clarity. But why get an amp that emulates a B15 when you can get a B15!!:D Thats right, I found one!:D

It is a 1969 B15N(Thiele design cabinet). The amp, as you can see is in great condition physically. The speaker is good, though I would like to replace it with an Eminence Delta 15. The only thing I can think of to replace would be the filter caps(it is humming). I replaced the power tubes with new Svetlana 6L6's.

I love it! It is one of the best amps I have ever played! It is smooth and warm. It makes all of my basses sound so good! The amp is incredibly versatile too. I can get a decent slap tone out of it with the Fodera, and beautiful harmonics. When I run the head through my Goliath III cabinet, I can get a sick amount of low end! It is so smooth and pure sounding. I've got to go practice!:D
    [​IMG]

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Congrats, B-15's are very nice amps, especially for four strings. I've had maybe three or four over the years.

OTOH I don't see myself ever selling my B-100R;)

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Vintage Ampegs are things of beauty. Congratulations. ;)

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    only piece of gear i regret selling:

1974 Ampeg B-15S.

i used to run it with a peavey PA cab for extension cab, and it still sounded good! if they weren't so darn heavy, i'd have bought one instead of getting my AMP head and avatar 112....but i need portablity too :(

someday i'll have another one.

5. bassboat

bassboat

Sep 27, 2001
    It is a 1969 B15N(Thiele design cabinet). The amp, as you can see is in great condition physically. The speaker is good, though I would like to replace it with an Eminence Delta 15. The only thing I can think of to replace would be the filter caps(it is humming). I replaced the power tubes with new Svetlana 6L6's.

Congrats! cool amp. If it sounds good, don't replace the speaker. It's unlikely that the box design and tuning will just work with that driver (IT MIGHT!) Plus, when you flip the top the tube cage will probably hit the basket of the speaker.

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have had a B15N before, and an Eminence will fit with the top flipped. The speaker distorts very early when I play through it. If I use the head with my Goliath, I can crank it without any speaker distortion. The foam has been removed from the cab, so I am going to replace it with studio grade acoustic foam. A new cap job, re-tube, and a new cover, and she will be ready to gig!:D