1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Went to dinner w/ a soldier on leave from Baghdad

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bkim, Jun 26, 2007.

1. bkim

bkim

Apr 28, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Last night I went to dinner with a friend of my wifes family who is on leave from Baghdad. 20 years old going back this weekend until May 08. He showed us pics and videos of the whole deal. I think he had already been there for 7-8 months and had already had his kevlar helmet channeled by a bullet and had been in a humvee that was hit by a roadside bomb. Real nice kid. It was truly humbling speaking to someone who is going to walk right back into it and may not come back home. Then on the news last night were 2 local soldiers funerals. Kind of make me evaluate how I'm living my life and priorities.

2. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    yeah my nephew was there for 9 months on his 1st deployment he's back home for a month, great to see him. he'll be back on a ship in 2-3 months on his way back i imagine.

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Man, makes you wonder why you'd go back...two brushes with death, lets hope the 3rd time the reaper doesn't get lucky. :rollno:

I'm glad that you got to talk to him, if it's had a positive effect on you. lets hope he comes home safe. Heck, lets hope they all come home safe.

4. bkim

bkim

Apr 28, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    He doesn't have too much of a choice in going back. He said he likes his army company, but the heat and the country really suck. He didn't seem to mind too much going back, but I guess if you know you're going back you can't tell yourself you hate it too much.

5. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA

Because, like most of the guys that go over there, they believe in what they're doing?

:meh:

6. bkim

bkim

Apr 28, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    He does believe in it, but was discouraged about how tied their hands are. They have very strict protocol on any type of engagement they enter into, while the enemies will and can do anything they want. The enemy also know the US combat protocol, so it is a damn near impossible job.

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

That's pretty much the downside/difficulty of counterinsurgency right there, and the reason why it's so tough.

Hope he and the rest of them come home safe soon.

8. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I respect him for his courage, and hope he and all the other troops get back safe. I also hope that one day there's going to be peace in that country - once a paradise and the cradle of civilization.

good luck to all.

9. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    +1 well said.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021