Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Went to England, got a Wal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkycarnivore, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Hey sweet bass! I want one!

How much did it set you back? :D

2. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I get first dibs in a couple weeks when you sell it, Funky!

3. It was at Bass Centre London for 699, but I got the VAT refunded since I'm not an English citizen, so just under 600 pounds, which is about 900 bucks. It has the old-style headstock and the neck is wiiiide, like a P-Bass. Very cool.

4. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    God....ANOTHER bass? Well, I guess you are just going to do this until you find the perfect bass, right?

5. You are so lucky, I wish I could go to London again. Man, that place is soo happening, carnaby street, chelsea, camden, and of course SOCCER!!!!!!

Did you watch a lot of soccer? hehehehe.

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    You suck! :p

I'd hate to see what you bring back if you go to Germany. . . :)

7. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Damnit! That's just like the one I want...and for $900 too...:mad:

:D :D :D

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think I saw that one when I was there a couple of weeks ago to try electric double basses - I bought a Steinberger CR5 - 5 string Electric Upright from the Bass Centre in Wapping - did you speak to Grant - his accent should have been more familar! ;)

They had a couple of 5 string Wals last year which I tried, with absolutely massive necks and very complicated tone controls - neither Grant nor I could any decent sounds out of them - but they sold anyway!

9. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    ....... :)

PJR

10. I have a new funky tribute signature.

11. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    ..Uhhhh..I'm not so sure he waits that long...

PJR

12. Maybe not, but that's what he said over at the Pit - sounds like a good rule to me.

Too bad my credit cards can't keep up :D

allan

13. What does a 5-string Wal's neck feel like, anyway? If you've heard me incessantly bragging about my FBB, you'll know that I love a good, thick neck. Is the back flat or rounded?

14. This Mach II is the only Wal I've played, but it's got a pretty thick neck with a pretty pronounced "V" shape profile. It feels pretty nice. I've heard that the newer ones have a different neck and headstock shape.

15. Do they still have the Andreas Shark 5-string? That bass is astounding. I bought one of a pair of Vigier basses from them last year (a fretless 4) and went back a few weeks later intent on picking up the second instrument (a fretted 4) to find that it had been shipped to the Birmingham store and sold. I would only have paid £1600 for the pair :(

16. Congratulations on your new Wal. I am so jealous.

I would go to just about any extreme, even watching Battlefield Earth non stop for a month for a Wal of my own.

Enjoy!

17. I bet the Atlanta Disease Control Center would be interested...

:D

18. That's hard core, man. I don't think anyone else would be foo--er, brave enough to do it.

19. Yep, the Andreas bass was still there. I really like sharks (studied aquatic biology for a year in college) and it looked great. It was a lot more expensive than the Wal though, and I really wanted a Wal.

Also, this Lakland Deluxe 4-94 showed up at my house while I was gone:
    [​IMG]