Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Went to GC boston today.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Played many a bass today at GC boston.

First one was a fretless Stambaugh. Odd body shape, and inline 4 headstock. Beautiful figured fretboard and body. It was amazing, but the controls were a little bland. Volume and tone, and one pickup. Still sounded killer.

Next I picked up a Peavey B quad 4 stringer, used for 799. It was missing a few knobs, a switch, but played very nicely. It had confusing controls and such, but I didn't mind. The pickups were raised too high, but that could be easily fixed. great bass! VERY Solid.

thirdly, I picked up a status series 1 4 stringer. It played nicely, but teh tone was a little icky, and the tone controls were ultra sensitive.

Fourthly, I picked up an old Warwick streamer corvette, one of those old Pre-infinity type thing. It needed a setup, but played great. Sounded and looked very weird. It was also selling for like 2800$ used. The thing sounded a little thin, but nothing a good setup couldn't fix. It was a light bass, but unline most warwicks.. it felt almost flimsy. The hollow body made me afraid that if i slapped it to hard, I would break the thing.

Finally, I played a Pedulla Thunderbolt 5. Easy to play, great tone. It was my favorite. It was setup fine, and sounded great on teh upper and lower registers.

I went to the acoustic room looking for a Tacoma or something to play, b ut all they had was a Renniassance (sp?), a few ibanez and fender acoustics.... and plenty of purdy guitars.

It was worth the walk.

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Sounds like you were there for a minute, did you get the headache I always get from Kid Guitar trying to use all 49 of the effect pedals at the same time?? With all the $$$ they make they should put the "pedal display" in a soundproof booth, then maybe I could spend more than 5 mins at a time in there. I never go into GC to "browse" any more, I only go if I need to, or if I know exactly what I want.
    EDIT:yes, I am getting OLD!!

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I was up at NEC, but the saturday morning train is at 7:30, and I had to be there at 11. hey, walking and bassing kills time :p.

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Word....let's not forget to mention it's good excercise ;)

5. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Old? Brother I am with you there!!! We visited my Son who lives in San Diego a few weeks ago. I made a visit to GC (Just to see what I could see!) and could only stand it for about the usual 5 minutes. I tend to agree that with an outfit with the resources that they "apparently" have, you would think that they could control how many versions of "Stairway to Heaven" were being "attempted" at one time!! :)

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    That was the one that threw me out of the store for having the audacity to insist I use my own bass to try out an amp I was buying, then explained to me that they only let "professional" musicians who have a "real intention to do buisness" try out their equipment.

That was strike #1 against Guitar Center, I'll tell the stories of strikes 2 and 3 another time. Now the only reason I go into GC is to try out equipment I plan on buying from the net.

7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    hehe! i just remembered the weins world movie, when wein goes to the music store and sees the "forbiden to play stairway to heaven" sing.

8. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Ahhh....Boston GC. I've frustrated many a salesman in that store.

Hundreds of basses in their massive inventory and I could never find one that I wanted. It was either the color of this one, or the pickups in that one....I've always been too picky for my own good.

9. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Guitar Center=
    1) wet-behind-the-ears salesmonkeys
    2) bad music being blasted on the stereo
    3) bad music played annoyingly loud by some boy racer guitarist
    4) instruments that are often badly set up or not well maintained because of boy racer kids who slap like mad thinking they're OMG RyKnOW!
    5) a place where I'd try out a bunch of stuff, but then actually purchase it from a smaller mom-&-pop store since I'm not big on chains when it comes to music stores and restaurants.

Still, at the very least, the people at the East Brunswick GC in New Jersey are actually friendly.

10. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    oh yeah...boston gc...got my GT-7 there...:D
    lots of nicey basses there, but i know what you mean about volume of wankers, and the staff thinking they're hipper than thou.
    story about mass. ave. wurlies...was there quite a few years ago, saturday afternoon...full of thunderkids...i try to put back a fender 5 jazz on the top wall slot. the hook isn't in the wall right, the bass falls to the floor and almost takes out a $2K+ pedulla 6! :eek:
    the entire store falls silent...an employee comes up and sez: 'can i help you, dude?' :meh:
    i've gotten better...

11. Ya them guys is cool

im plaining to buy a used i think 96 warwick thumb nt 5er for $1900 but it goin to take a while to get my wallet up there, plus i dont think im a $1900 player if ya know what i mean :(

12. But I was in there between 4:30-6:20..
    I've checked some Mexi jazz, it sounds nice through Mesa M-pulse 600 with Power house 1000..
    I think it is because of amp & cab.
    I had fun in there. Nice to visit.. :smug: