1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Went to GC yesterday, and the best thing there was...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Brown, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    ... a MIM P-Bass. Felt good, sounded good. Made me wish I played a four string again. I liked it better than a couple of American Deluxes they had there.

2. There is a great deal of suspicion among knowledgeable and semi-knowledgeable persons about how much difference there really is between the alleged "Made In USA" and the admittedly "Made In Mexico" instruments. Except for the dreadful orange-tinted sunbursts on the MIM's, they seem a little too similiar. The same scratch pattern can be found on the frets of instruments bearing MIM and USA markings, and the proximity of the Ensenada, B.C., Mexico facility and the US plants makes the smoke thicker.

I have found the Deluxe (American and non-American) lines to be largely the same as the non-Deluxe instruments, with the addition of abalone inlays and cheap, noisy preamps. The quality curve doesn't seem to kick in until you get to the US Vintage and US Signature models. Once again, that is my experience.

3. Kubs

Kubs

Jul 26, 2006
    Prague
    I Have similar experience and I can say that i try in shop one piece and from MIM standard production and godamn this one was FAR better than any HW1 i´ve ever tried, nad i think that another MIM are like HW1... (i think HW1 is only marketing trick - "Look, its AMERICAN , Its perfect...")Iam not sure if HW1 are so bad that sounds like MIM or MIM are so good that sounds like HW1
    With AMerican,Deuxes,custom shops etc. I have no experience....
    But generally I think that MIMs higher serie Deluxe series are usable....and can be really worth its price

4. thhe only time ive ever abed between the 2 the two countries, the mexican played much nicer but the american sounded better

5. Kubs

Kubs

Jul 26, 2006
    Prague
    Thats really important for me i keep this in mind if i ever will buy deluxe MIM (i GOT GASSSSSSSS)

6. The Dave

The Dave

Jun 23, 2006
    Canyon, Texas
    That's very true of the Standard series stuff but my FSR has a perfect tobacco burst and the MIM Reggie Hamilton Standard Jazz has a breath taking 3TS. The gap closes even further! :eyebrow:

7. The Dave

The Dave

Jun 23, 2006
    Canyon, Texas
    In response to the original post, there really is just something about a four string passive Fender. I was at GC in Lubbock a couple of weeks ago and played a few MMs, a Modulus, a Schecter and some other stuff and the one I enjoyed the most was a Squier Vintage Modified '70s Jazz. Go figure.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    A nice MIM Fender is a glorious thing! I have a MIM P Bass that I'll never part with (sold an extremely nice MIA Hot Rodded P and kept the MexiP). On the skinny string side, my MIM Tex-Mex Strat is quite wonderful as well...

I owned a very nice MIM Deluxe Active J5 that only left because I got my Hoyt/Warmoth J5.

I've played plenty of bad ones too (from both sides of the border)...

I thought that the MIA basses had graphite in the neck and through-body bridges....plus nicer hardware.

9. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Someone once told me that the real difference is quality control and that's about it. The US made stuff is generally made well and is predictable to be so, whereas the quality of the MIM's can vary as to be just as good, even better than MIA to far worse... dont know how true that is but an interesting statement nonetheless.

10. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    The Fender MIM has come a long way. Anyone who judges them without trying them out and trying diffrent models before just thinking they are subpar to MIAs is foolish and soon to be wasting his money...in most cases. It is also surprising to see how the Squier models are creeping up in quaility also. I posted here before where a dealer told me soon all MIM fenders will replace MIAs as the off the wall standard Fender line...Squiers will move up and replace MIMs and all models that were MIA will be signature series and high dollar customs...hummm ... think he might be right judging from the MIMs and Squiers i have seen and played lately.

11. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I wouldn't doubt that at all. I've been shocked out how good some of the "subpar" stuff is getting lately.

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

My take is this: If the "classic" Fender sound is what you want, you either suffer to afford a real "classic". Or, you could try and purchase a fine "custom shop" issue, even there you may have to play through a few of them to find one you like. But which store houses that kind of $$$ inventory for your indulgence?

Or, you find a basic model you mostly or completely like, built hopefully with the same relative materials and care as your favorite classic year, treat the instrument very well and be patient and allow it (and yourself) age gracefully.

13. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Whenever I go to Guitar Center the best thing there is the EXIT door.

14. The Dave

The Dave

Jun 23, 2006
    Canyon, Texas
    True dat. The only reason I go there is that the local shops here - All TWO of 'em! - only have a couple of MIM Standards, a Hi-way 1 and some low end Ibanez and Yamahas. I have to drive a couple of hours to get to a GC if I want to try anything else.

15. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    Actually, it happened to be the 2nd best thing there in my case. I hadn't been in awhile, it was a holiday, and the wife was out and about. I figured I'd give them another shot. I guess I'm good for another 6 months until the Mark Bass stuff gets in.

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Is this the GC right near best buy up there ?

17. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I had the same experience. I think a lot of it had to do with setups on the basses, but I found the MIM Ps to be quite nice.

18. Yep. If he went to the one in South Attleboro.

Hey AJ, does it have a natural finish? If so I played the same one a while back. It must have been set up somewhere else. :smug:

I had the same feeling after playing it. "Why don't I have a P bass" kind of feeling. :D

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Next time I am up in RI we should have a mini gtg there ! :cool:

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021