Went to Guitar Center today

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nighttrain1127, Dec 30, 2005.

1. I went to GC looking for a 2x15 cab for my Sunn 300T. So I was looking around to see what they had for used Bass cabs And they dont have too much so this sales guy comes over and asks what I am looking for so I tell him A 215 Sealed bass cab, And he proceeds to tell me that they don't make Bass Cabs that big and that a 1x15 and a 4x10 is better Than a 2x15 would be if they made them but they do not make them. So asked him where I might have gotten three of them from if they do not make them. And he left for a minute and when he came back he told me they stopped making them in the early 70's and they were not very popular. So I said thanks and left to continue my search for the Sunn or Fender 2x15 or the Sunn 4x12. At least it was entertaining and so very informative. :D
  2. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Ya know, seems every GC has 1 maybe 2 guys that actually know something. But the amount of BS that comes out of there is astounding. Maybe if they would shell out enough money to hire some Pros this crap wouldn't happen.
    SLM is one of their biggest if not the biggest supplier between Ampeg and Crate, and Ampeg makes one. They seem to think if they don't stock it, it isn't made. They stopped stocking the SVT-PRO-2 and they have a habit of telling people it's not made,which is just a flat lie.
  3. I quit going to GC several years ago, most of the employees have no clue, especially about bass.
  4. Thats exactly why I do all my research here and Harmony Central. I just go into GC to find out if theyve got what Im looking for by name, no questions. I went in two days ago and asked for an Aphex 204, the guy looked at me with a blank look, then I walked over, showed it to him, then he understood. Gc is no place to ask for opinions or advice. THats what makes sites like Talkbass so helpful. Thank you Talkbass.
  5. greaseball

Dec 1, 2005
    Local music stores are good places to buy your kid a starter pack or if you happen to have a large wad of extra cash in your pocket that you have no use for. I stopped going to them years ago because I don't like being lied to.
  6. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    4x19 huh? i'd hate to store and move such a monstrous thing ;)

Sorry, i had to, even thought it was a simple typing error. :D
  7. ya know, as aggrivating as it can be when you really need some info on something that they sell/carry.....there is almost ALWAYS more entertainment value in an "explanation" from a "GC Dude" !
  8. origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    i know what you mean.

i found a used tribby G&L L2000 at my local GC and they wanted $599 firm without a case. i informed the sales guy with a printout from music123.com that the bass sells new for $559 with a gig bag, free shipping, no tax.

the sales guy preceded to tell me that the bass retains its value and they won't move on the price. now, i love the tributes, but if used ones are gaining $60 of value per year, i'm buying all of them up and i'll resell them in a few years (sarcastic).

i offered $400 for the bass and they wouldn't take it. shucks :scowl: i guess i will wait for it to collect dust at GC and hopefully no one dumb will buy it.

i also have tried to buy stuff they have at the store that i've seen on ebay. they had a bass on ebay for $570 with zero bids (priced $799 at the store). i showed them the ebay print-out and that i'd be happy to pay $570. they said they can't sell it at the store for under $799 and i should go just win it on ebay :rollno: .
  9. soho192

Dec 31, 2005
    I went there to buy strings and asked if the nanoweb coating would come off when I boiled them. The guy gave me a dumbfounded look and said that it was an old wifes tale. I'm still wondering, can I boil my elixirs? Thanks, Randy
  10. Why on earth would you want to ? Boiling strings is usually done to get them clean, Get all the oils and dirt out of the windings. Elixirs are coated so it is not really something you need to do just wipe them down and you should be good to go. I would bet if you boil them the coating would come off. But who knows. A good Question for the strings forum. :bassist:
  11. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Gc prices are hit or miss, a great real world example of the laws of probability in action - almost true random! The staff are mostly miss. I'll stop in, either there's the odd piece that's selling for half its value or the humor of the grossly overpriced used gear. I did have one guy just the other day tell me about a vintage cab I was looking at, "The speakers are not stock." Not that this takes any great knowledge, but I really appreciated knowing this up front, without having to try to get someone to pop the grill off so I could at least see dust covers.

I DID see a SUNN 2X15 at a Guitar Center last week! I see so many GC's every week, I am not 100% certain where, but I THINK Manchester CT. It was a Fender era, should be able to take the full wattage of that beast better than an old one? Didn't catch the price. I may be stopping in this weekend - I'll let you know if it's there.

What stands out about that visit was the Toby - Korean Tobias sold on Musicyo.com for years for several hundred $ - that was over $1200. I forget how far - maybe hundreds. I laughed, and played it. Really nice bass for the price point it was new!
  12. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    No offense to any of you who work retail, but as a 20 year veteran in retail management these are the three requirements for getting an entry level retail sales position:
    1. Have a pulse
    2. Actually show up for work your first day.
    3. Pass an EEG.

Number 3 is optional.