Went to Guitar Center...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iplaybass, Aug 11, 2002.

1. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    ... in the city of Knoxville. They have an interesting selection of instruments, and I got to try out several while I was there. Played a very nice Carvin fretless, and several Corvettes. The highlight of the day, however, was what I found hidden among the rack of Warwicks. A Streamer Stage II with EMG's!! This thing completely blew me away. Best tone I've heard in a long time, even with the onboard EQ flat. Does anyone know if EMG equipped Streamers are a custom job or a long-lost Warwick offering? The tag said $1900, but I forgot to see if it was used or not.
  2. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Earlier this year I had a 1997 Corvette Standard that I took to GC to order a case and some wax. I'm not making this up. I handed my bass to the salesman who proceeded to <sniff sniff> my bass and then comment "Man, these basses smell like they've been in a dumpster for two weeks." I was appalled.:mad: I mean, first of all it wasn't true. The bass DID smell like the glue that all Warwicks use in the electronics compartment. But otherwise it was totally devoid of notable smells. Second, you don't insult a customer like that! "Excuse me, did you just tell me my bass smells like it was in a dumpster?" I asked. "Hey I'm just being honest." is what he said. I wanted crush him like a bug with a bubinga mallet. But instead I left and called the store manager and explained my frustration. He said he was totally sorry and that nobody should be treated that way and to deal with him directly next time I was in the store. (I was hoping he'd give me some strings!) Anyway, I think that was about the most infuriating experience I ever had with a CG salesman.

What does this have to do with your post? Umm. I'm glad you found a sweet Warwick at CG. If the salesman says it smells like a dumpster, swing away. I'll be here cheering.
  3. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Wait. I meant GC. Guitar Center. GC. hooked on acronyms didn't work for me.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  4. I went to GC with the intentions of trying out a Ric... but when I got there, they were literally hanging from the ceiling! I can understand them wanting to protect their instruments, but man, they don't have to hide them.

I just ended up trying out some amps instead. :mad:
  5. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    What bugs me when I go to any store is if I ask to play an instrument thats up high or something, when they bring it down the clerks always feel the need to play it and show off their slappin prowess...No I want to play it I dont want to watch you play it.....last one who did that when he handed it over I played the same thing he had twice as fast and better..just to piss him off..
  6. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    be careful, dont get yer fasts and betters confused there.
  7. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    glad you found a sweet warwick. the GC nearest me, Cherry Hill, NJ has a decent collection of warwicks, at least last time i was there. i always hated how i don't get much attention as a customer since i'm a kid (16). i always need to almost beg to get a bass from up high or a cable to try out an amp. the salespeople always walk right by me to the guy with the big wallet! :rolleyes:

8. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    I love how if you mention GC in a post, it turns into a "horror story/worst experience" thread. Back to the original question, Old streamers did have emg's as stock, im not sure when the switch was made, or if they are now available as a custom feature. Of course, if it was a used instrument the previous owner could have swapped pups. You might want to find out the story behind that particular instrument if your serious about buying it.

9. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Thanks. I was wondering how long it would take to get an answer... guess I should have been more specific in the title.
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Kudos to you for actually answering the question that iplaybass asked!

As boomerang said, Warwicks originally did come with EMGs, and I think that you can still custom order Streamer Stage models with Basslines or EMGs, for extra cost, of course.

$1900 for a SSII with EMGs? I am sure that it is used. Did it have the brass just-a-nut? If it is in good shape, that's an OK price, but $1500-$1600 would be more like it.
  11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sorry to post another one that doesn't have to do with the question but I feel like it's been answered anyway. Just gotta say that in the past when I've been to guitar center my experiences were mixed but since I came back from being in China for a year (six weeks ago) I've been to 4 different Guitar Centers (2 in Houston, Dallas, Austin) and every single time have had fantastic customer service. I mean really great. Very helpful salespeople helping me move around heads and stuff and encouraging me to play instruments. At the one in Austin I was about to leave without playing anything (And by this point the very cool salesman knew that they didn't have what I was looking for) and the salesman was like "Hey man! You can't leave without playing something, otherwise it's a wasted trip! Grab one of those Pedullas or something." So I grabbed a pentabuzz and he hooked me up to a big Mesa setup and let me be. Pretty cool. Didn't try to sell me anything really...just tried to help me find what I was looking for and when they didn't have anything in that range he let me be after chatting for a few minutes about different bass rig configs.

Anyway...just thought I'd point out the other side of the coin...all depends on where you go and the quality of the salesmen...which probably has more to do with the hiring manager.

brad cook
  12. Actually my GC doesn't have any basses out of my reach. The only place that hangs all the nice basses high is Mars. They have them 30 feet up! It drives me nuts. That's why I haven't been to Mars for 8 months. So no employees touch any of the basses I play. I always fall in love with all the Warwick's at GC.
  13. stop_drop_pop33

stop_drop_pop33 Guest

Aug 15, 2002
    under your bed
  14. stop_drop_pop33

stop_drop_pop33 Guest

Aug 15, 2002
    under your bed
    were they on the ceiling too?
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A used instrument at GC marked at $1900 can probably be obtained for $1600.

Also, I like the instruments to be out of reach. It means there's less of a chance that the bass I want to buy will have those big scratches on the back that some slab-slappin' 14-year-old put in it.
  16. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm fortunate. At 6'5" I can play any bass i want!!
  17. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sheesh...if that's the case then either Guitar Center in your town is different than the ones I've been to or you have 8 foot long arms.

Not even Yao Ming or Manute Bol could reach some of the instruments at the Guitar Centers around me. They have a special ladder that they have to climb up to get some of the basses.

brad cook
  18. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    That sounds like a sweet bass. Here's what you should check:

1) price tag date: the "date" may show up like "011902" which means they got it january 19, 2002. This date gives you an idea of how long they've had it. If it's been a week, forget wheeling and dealing too much. The money period is 6 months. If it doesn't appear, ask them when they took it in.

2) price tag salesman: some stores have the salesman who took the piece in initial the tag. A full description may go "USED WARWICK STREAMER STAGE II 011902 AF" and the "AF" is the salesman who took it in. Look for that guy! He'll get all the sale, so he'll be easy to talk down. If you talk to someone else, they only get 75% of the sale and the original buyer gets 25%.

3) Serial number: Check the year stamp, then contact warwick with the info, they'll tell you if it's factory.

Anyway, more tactics...

Used gear used to be easy. The tag was twice the buying price (1900 tag, 950 into it). But with new managers, policies and expensive gear, there could be as much as $1500 into the bass, but I bet $1200 is in it. This at least gets you a bargaining footing.
    Also, used gear has a minimum price. Because it is bought cheap, they don't want to let some idiot salesman sell it for a lot less than it's worth. I would guess that the minimum price is probably $1700 at this point. That won't budge for about 6 months, like I said. However, the managers (AM and above) can beat a minimum. Talk to them if you get a raw deal.

If you do decide to buy it and it's been there, lets say, 3 months, here's the best way to do it:

1) do it at the end of the month. That's when they want sales dollars the most. Pants start dropping easier.
    2) show em the money. If you aren't serious, they'll just ignore you.
    3) Talk to a big guy who's cool. Some managers are there because they can sell eskimoes refrigerators. Some are managers because they are really great with customers. Ask other shoppers who the man (or woman) is.
    4) Threaten to walk (within reason). If you aren't getting a good price, let em know. Tell them what you'll pay for it and say (in essence) take it or leave it. If they aren't going to budge, give it time. Leave your number, your offer, and leave the building. Sometimes you just have to do it.

This is getting long... email me directly and I'll let you know more and may even find out the cost. I still have people on the inside...
  19. Wow, those are some great tips! Makes me want to go buy something.
  20. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    WOW!:eek: Thanks Rojo! Next time I buy a bass in a store, I'll be prepared.

Oh, and yes Embellisher, it had a brass nut. Very nicely made. The EMG's really make me think that maybe MEC is hurting the Warwick sound.