Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

went to hawaii...saw some nice koa wood

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DeepDeath, Mar 26, 2002.

1. i just came back from hawaii i saw alot of good flame and regular koa wood,,,too bad none of them were on basses! well i didn;t get to see any music stores, did you know koa can come out cream white! tripped me out

2. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I've had a koa fretless for about 15 years, and it is beautiful. The wood has the quality where it looks different from different angles (I don't know what this quality is called). Mine is oil-finished, and I love the feel of wood instead of a thick-synthetic finish. I must admit that I felt a little guilty buying a rainforest wood that only grows in Hawaii, but I don't think greedy bassists are the main cause of deforestation.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Kewl, Deep!!! It would be great to go to where many of our exotic woods come from, (NOT wenge, unless you like civil wars).

I had a neck-through made partially with koa and learned what I could about it.

That white koa you saw is the sapwood. The light brown/reddish/chocolate brown stuff we see on basses is heartwood.

Monkey - don't feel any guilt. These days, harvesting koa is restricted mainly to fallen trees, (well, I guess you could sorta "help" one along). The koa supply got into a bind because only small, family-owned, plantations grew it by design at one time. Luckily, the Hawaiian gov't saw a fairly unique export was being depleted and large gov't stands of koa will take over as the main source, once their koa stands are mature enough to start thinning, Luckily, it is a relatively fast growing tree and.

FWIW - Way back when, only Hawaiian royalty could own items made with koa. When that restriction went away, the furniture, veneer, and boat building industries, (among others), depleted the supply.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    check this fabulous flame koa out. :D

[​IMG]

i have 2 pictures that i need to scan in, both of this bass, but with the camera angle shifte about 3 inches. in one pic the bass looks bright gold, the other deep brown. i love koa, it's like velvet, it changes color hugely depending on the angle that you are looking at it.

5. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    Is that 8 strings?????
    WOW.....
    That's amazing.
    I have a hard enough time playing a wide necked 5 string.