Went to LA Bass Works today and didn't spend any $$$

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner [DB]' started by Tom Lane, Aug 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

I dropped by the LA Bass Works today because 7 weeks ago Rufus Reid, David Friesen, and Tyrone Wheeler had me convinced that my bridge was warped. They spent 15 minutes whacking it every which way during my combo audition. Worse yet, when Chris Fitzgerald did a flyby and played my bass they all said "See, it can bring it." Another "kill me now moment". But Chris DOES sound really good these days...

When I brought the offending bridge to the LA Bass Works, Gabriel demonstrated that it was actually remarkably straight. After a 30 minute discussion with Gabriel and Lisa, we concluded that the only reason to replace the bridge would be to give it a few more millimeters to engage the bass bar. It might help with the loudness, but, it might not, and the new bridge would be taller unless I were willing to install adjusters, which I was hoping to eliminate to improve the tone and volume.

End result, I walked out without ordering the new bridge. The thing is, I could tell they were hoping I'd go for it because they probably could really use the revenue, but, they put their reputation and their client's needs first and didn't push at all. That makes them one/two of the "goodguys", IMO.

2. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

It doesn't get any "good-er" than Lisa and LA Bassworks.
    IMFO.

DMcNutt likes this.
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Great story about what sounds like honest folks. FWIW I didn't see anything wrong with that bridge. With your travel bass designed like it is, there's no reason to get adjusters!

DMcNutt, Mike Saint and Tom Lane like this.
  4. Mike Saint

Mike Saint

May 20, 2017
    Cats play the bass! Dogs can, though! :)

5. Lisa and Gabriel are such a gift to the Southern California music community. They've been so helpful to me during my college years.

6. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Alright Gabriel and Lisa!

7. Mike Saint

Mike Saint

May 20, 2017
    Everyone knows cats can't play any musical instuments, let alone an upright bass!
    Now, a dog, on the other hand...... :bassist:

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021