Went to lunch, got a Carl Thompson!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Siff, Aug 28, 2000.

1. Well, I made a pretty good score today, I think. I got a 1977 Carl Thompson for $650. It just needs pickups and/or electronics and it's set. I think I'm gonna make it passive. It's a mahogany body, with a through-body neck, 26 fret ebony fingerboard and a big 'ol Badass bridge. Cosmetically it's in very nice shape for being 23 years old. The frets look good too. And it's got that nutty Carl Thompson shape! So I'm psyched. What do y'all think??

[Edited by Dave Siff on 08-28-2000 at 03:52 PM]
  2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I think I should go to lunch with you sometime....:)
  3. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Yeah, no kidding....I'll even spring...for lunch that is!
  4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Thats a hell of a lunch! Whered you get it?! Does this mean you dont need that Modulus?

Damn...give us a picture! Why passive, by the way?
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, dave, where'd you get it? that sounds cool!
  6. I got it from this guy, lives in metro Atlanta, he had it advertised on bassgear.com. I e-mailed him, he called me, we met up in the parking lot of Guitar Center, I looked it over and did the deal!
    I consulted a friend who works at a music store, he said passive pickups would be about $200 incl. labor.
    I prefer passive, and it will keep the cost down (I really couldn't afford to buy it in the first place!) I'll see though, it would be cool to put some Bartolinis with a preamp in there!
  7. Yes, Mega, the Modulus Genesis VJ is now out!
    I'll post a picture as soon as I can, I might wait 'till it's fixed up.
    As for why passive, I'm a one-tone guy. I have a sound dialed in, I know what it sounds like and I don't tweak it.
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Dave, that's a pretty wild find. I'm jealous:D
  9. Dave does this mean that the Rumblefish is now on the backline? As glowingly as you've spoken of it I would think that the Thompson is the backup.
  10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    dave, you sure you can't come by on saturday night? i sure would dig seeing the new bass.
  11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    A date eh? Or was that a kinky innuendo?
  12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    a date? he's married, i would never date a married man :rolleyes: :D.

this saturday is the atlanta bass player get-together.
  13. membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    YOU LUCKY SOB!!! Post a picture!!!
  14. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Nice score Dave! I would say you got a pretty killer deal post a pic when you get it together.
    PS Im sorry to say my Rev didn,t make the cut I traded her for a nice RIC that I fell in love with the minut I picked it up.
  15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I want a CT too! Oh well, 4's are wussy. :) Is it one of the small bodied ones with the 3d scroll on the horn? Or is it one of the longer, more dullish bodies? I wanna see!

John, married men are the most fun! ;)
  16. Sweet score man!

It's always cool when my dream situation happens to someone else :p Oh well.
  17. OK let me try to reply to everyone!
    First of all, I put some strings on it last night to see what the action is like. It's VERY low, but not too many string buzzes. The thing plays really well. I can tell a difference from my Rumblefish.. it has a more zingy, high-end, woody sound to it. There is one dead note, the 17th fret C on the G string, but I can get around that. It needs a set-up really bad, the intonation above the 21st fret is way off!
    As for pictures, my camera is broken, I'll buy a disposable and take a picture of it soon and post it.
    It may be a while before it's complete. I think I'm going to want to spend the money for a Bartolini pickup/preamp set-up, which with labor and all will set me back around $500, so I'm gonna have to save up for a little while!
    Will this bass make the Rumblefish the backup??? Stay tuned.. I would think once I have the Thompson finished, I'll have to play it as my main axe for a while, simply to justify the money I put into it! The Rumblefish still kicks ass and is in the top slot for now.
    I'll keep you all posted on how this project goes, and there will be pictures.
  18. Uhhhh,,,just one question. What's a Carl Thompson? Trent
  19. Trent.. Carl Thompson is a bass maker in New York City. He makes very high-end instruments. Remember those crazy looking 4 and 6-strings that Les Claypool played with Primus? Those are Carl Thompsons. Stanley Clarke also played them for a little while in the '70s. Thompson also made one of the first-ever attempts at building a 6-string for Anthony Jackson.
    He doesn't have a website, but if you go to http://www.thelowend.net there are some pictures of Carl Thompsons there.
  20. membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    He has a semi-official site... http://www.ctbasses.com