Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Went to lunch, got a ........

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Nov 16, 2000.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    In an effort to one-up Dave Siff (it's a political thing;)), I went to lunch today, and came back with this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Surine Protocol 7 string (I thought it was an Affinity;)). Unbelievable deal... I was there and I'm still not sure I believe it. I don't play 7's so it's future is up in the air. For now I'm having a ball with it, though :D

[Edited by Brad Johnson on 11-17-2000 at 03:07 PM]

2. Brad, I hereby declare myself "one-upped"!!
    That is awesome! Congrats.
    I have this vision now where I'm at home tonight and there's a knock on my door, and I open it and it's the undead versions of you and JT, holding your 7-strings and saying, in a low moan, "Walk among us..."

3. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I can't hang, Dave, but I knew I wasn't going to leave this one in the store;)

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    see?! see!??!? i told you so!!! :D :D i knew you would do it!

(darth vader = on)

you can not resist the POWER of the dark side :D

(darth vader = off)

man, brad, that bass is really sharp, congrats. did you get that at the bass palace? in scranton? oh, and...

you do now! :D

5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Hey my good friend Brad!! :D
    Great bass!
    You have a great collection!
    I'm jealous!!

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I needed at least one bass that was as wide as my combo amp.

Boat paddle?;)

Where do I get strings...do I just buy 2 four strings sets, keep one string as a spare and appoint one string the F string:D

That's how it works, right?

7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    WOW!......cool bass!how much did it cost?

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    uh, yeah!

seriously, you could probably get them from http://www.juststrings.com

check this out...

http://www.juststrings.com/juststri...irpage=dir3&eflag=0&curitempos=53&numitems=54

i don't particularly like the sizes of the A, D, and G strings of this set, but i love the dean markleys.

or if you like nickel strings, they have singles, putting a set together like this might be a bit pricey, though...

http://www.juststrings.com/juststri...atid=115&orderidentifier=ID97441825074956600F

or there's their own brand of steels, again single strings...

http://www.juststrings.com/juststri...atid=133&orderidentifier=ID97441825074956600F

good luck.

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    That's the neat part. I keep advising people to look for used and mention the deals I find, like the Lakland, Zon, 78 Jazz, Polytone, BH-420...you get the idea. Here's one more reason:

I found this today at Guitar Center for $1000. With the UltraLight hard case. And lifetime warranty.

:D

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Thanks, JT, that helps.

11. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    WOW!! tight bass... today i went to lunch and brought back a rare, bacon ultimate cheeseburger from jack in the box!! jealous you are, yes i know,

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    JT, I know you were joking about the power (at least I thought you were;)) but the more I play this, the more I see the possibilities. Admittedly it'll take some time getting used to it for slap (the spacing isn't as wide as I'd like it (how's that for perverse?) but the ability toss in chords and doublestops in position is pretty cool. All I need now are some decent strings, I put a new Webstrings :)() 6 string set on it (left over from the TRB 6II) yesterday, the B immediately broke. The high F feels like it may be a .030 which is too big and way too tight when strung up to pitch.

Other than that it has Bartolini soapbars, a Bartolini 3 band preamp with passive more, a Wilkinson adjustable bridge (which I like) and an XLR out, which I haven't tested. The bass has a sound very similar to a really nice Smith.

Update: I just got in front of a mirror (they work so much better from the front;)) to watch how I was playing this bass and figured out that I needed to wear it higher up. Once I made that adjustment, slapping was much, much easier, as a matter of fact so was fingerstyle. Now I must go train with Yoda.

I can't wait to take this bad boy on a gig ;)

I'm not only a member of the Wankers Club...
    I'm the president!

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That is a really nice bass - looks a bit like a Ken Smith 6 string, I've seen in the UK - but at nothing like that price :( Similar quality to a Ken Smith as well from your pics.

If I saw something like this at the equivalent of $1,000 in the UK, I would definitely buy it there and then! I wouldn't let it out of my hands until they had given me the receipt! ;)

I do go out and look at basses in my "extended" lunch hour when I'm in London, but the basses I like, start at over £2,000 - which is more than $3,000! I couldn't get a decent Fender for $1,000 over here!

I'm being swayed towards a holiday to the US for bass-buying purposes and maybe throw in the odd visit to some Jazz clubs....but I don't think my girlfriend will be too happy about it!

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Thanks, Bruce, it was another freak deal that for some reason I keep coming across. I've come to the point that when I get a "feeling" I act on it. Probably sounds silly but here's some examples:

I hadn't been to the converted Guitar Center (used to be Venemans in Rockville, Md) in a while. When I have gone in the past I rarely found anything I could use.Even though I'm getting over pneumonia, I had the urge to stop by there and Atomic Music in College Park, Md. I walk in, look at the wall behind the counter where they used to keep the upscale basses, see the Surine, then see the price tag... no brainer;)

While I read the local newpapers, I don't look at musical instruments in the classifieds,usually just features pianos. For some reason I decided to look one Friday, probably the first time in years. I saw the Zon fretless advertised at a small store in a town about 45 miles away that I'd never been to. I drove over, played the bass and literally could not put it down:D They said they were getting out of the Zon line so they sold me the bass for $1500 with one year, no interest and no payments.

I think to myself, I haven't stopped by a certain pawnshop in months, maybe I should make a trip. I find the Polytone for $69.

On a trip to visit my parents I'm driving by another pawnshop that I practically never went to, prices too high, usually nothing there. I think, why not stop? I do and find the 81 L2000E for $275.

Coincidence?...sure could be. It just seems funny...

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Dave, the "one-up" thing was definitely a joke...you found a Thompson!

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Brad,

Congrats!!! That thing is BEAUTIFUL!!! :D:D:D

17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Brad-

I wanna go shopping with you, ok?? ;)

DAYHM!!!!! $1G for that Surine??? You lucky bastid! :D

18. I know, Brad.. we both made good finds. This game of one-upsmanship is fine with me! I wish I was in a financial position to put the ball back in your court!
    A beautiful, high-end 7 like that for $1000.. you win this round! But I'll be back.. ;)

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    A friend of mine asked me if I tried to haggle the price down. I guess I could have but sometimes that just doesn't seem right. Like the time I found a nice SVT rig for $150 at a yard sale. I payed the asking price...and didn't feel like a chump;)

20. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    what?!?! LOL.. you really found an svt rig for 150?