Went to my first real death metal concert!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by PanteraFan, May 30, 2002.

1. Well, last night I saw Opeth, supported by Arch Enemy and Withering Surface. Review follows:

Withering Surface: I went to the front for these guys, then realized that having my head next to the lead guitarist's monitor was not a good idea, as it seemed time and space were distorting along with his guitar, so I went to the toilet and stodd arounf the middle of the venue where I got a better PA mix. These guys were you average death metal band, nothing special IMO. Nice timing, tight, but no real talent on display. Bassist was using a modified Ric, all black, no body binding, rounded edges and a bolt-on maple neck + fingerboard, with the sharkfin inlays. He was also using a Boss ODB-3, which is probably why I didn't hear him at all. Played through a Marshall bass head into a Laney 2x10 and 6x10.

Overall: 5/10

Arch Enemy: Much better. Innovative, technically proficient and tight. Great stage presence too. I was also amazed at Andrea Gossow's Jeff Walker-like vocals. Look out Morgan Lander, Tairrie B and Jessica from Sugarcoma - this girl roars you into oblivion. Bassist was using a Jetglo Ric into the Marshall head and the Lney cabinets. I think the WS bassist used Arch Enemy's bass rig.

Overall: 8/10

Opeth: My god what a band. I truly believe that these guys are some of the most technically profoicient musicians on the planet after last night, with great songwriting to boot. In an hour and a half they play 9 songs, ranging over all five of their albums. I can't remember the exact set, but the highlights were Godhead's Lament, Credence and the closer, Demon Of The Fall, even though all the tracks were amazing. This was one of the first times in my life that the music truly connected, and it seemed to be the same throughout the audience. Mikael even said we were very quiet, considering that between WS and AE songs there was shouting and death-grunts, etc. I think it was because we were all in awe. This was only the second time Opeth had played here in Manchester. Mikael also seemed truly grateful of our appreciation for his songs, and the band applauded the audience after the show. Bassist was using a Marcus Miller signature into a Laney head with blue LED's EVERYWHERE, into the Laney cabs. I could really hear the bass, and it was not just sub-200Hz rumbling either.

Overall 9 1/2 out of 10 (needed a longer set to play more from Blackwater Park)
  2. Sounds like a pretty sweet concert, dude.

While I have been to plenty of New Zealand death metal concerts, the heaviest international concerts I have been to are Slayer, Sepultura (with Max), Pantera, and Brutal Truth. And nothing else i have seen even comes close to the intensity of those concerts!
    Another reason I haven't been to many others (like Cannibal Corpse or Deicide who I would give my right eye to see) is because not a lot of them come to NZ.

Hey death metal fans, if you ever get a chance to see of hear a NZ metal band called 8 Foot Sativa, definitely do it! They are a shining light among millions of mediocre death metal bands
  3. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    But did anyone actually get to die???

:confused: :confused:
  4. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That must have been a killer concert. Opeth has to be one of the best and orginal metal bands to come out as of late. (Since most new metal bands are content on just ripping off Maiden and Helloween riffs nowadays)

Arch Enemy is pretty killer too. I haven't ever heard of the first band though. Are they on Century Media too?
  5. WS used to be on Euphonius, and are now on Copro.
  6. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I love Opeth, I really wish they'd tour the US some time.
  7. Did you get an upside down cross painted on you? How about pig bloods spilt on you?
  8. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    :rolleyes: Because, you know, thats all that happens at metal concerts. Don't forget the baby sacrifice! Jeez..
  9. ConTraBajisTa

ConTraBajisTa Guest

Oct 5, 2000
    auburn, ny
    i've heard a few opeth songs, i was very impressed. you're lucky you got to see them. the big thing i'm looking forward to is hellfest this summer. hardcore and metal bands, it'll be my first time goin, and i hear its awesome. the mosh pits are horrible (in that good mosh-pitty way) though, and i'm tiny, so i gotta keep away, even though it seems as though they grow and they suck you into them, LoL.
  10. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx

They did!! They toured supporting Nevermore along with God Forbid (really badass band) and Angel Dust (didn't fit the show at all...) It was frickin AWESOME!!!! :D
  11. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Man, if you liked Opeth, you'll really like the new Borknagar album! :cool:
  12. All top bands mentioned in this thread!!

Did you wear earplugs??? :rolleyes:

There hasn't been any top metal bands come through adelaide recently.. the closest we got was Fear Factory about 5 months ago.

13. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    I really like Opeth, so does my mom, sounds like it was a cool concert..

Im just waiting for My Dying Bride, Cradle of Filth and Nevermore to go on tour together and play here in the U.S. .....:D

Then as Cradle is about to play " Her Ghost in the Fog" they call me up on stage and i jam with em on it... Then we play some Cruelty and the Beast and.....
  14. :eek: Dude...I want your mom to be my mom! :D
  15. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    heh, she likes Cradle also..
  16. heheh..

i was the very first ( i think ) Cradle of Filth fan in Holland :D

I was on vacation with my parents in the UK in 1991.. there was this pub where a local band called " cradle of filth " played. so we ( my sister & me ) went there to check it out.. very cool stuff :)

but after 11 years of loyal worshipping, i turned my back at them this year.. they've gone too commercial... Heck.. they don't even call or e-mail me anymore, like they used to for many, many years ! :(
  17. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    sorry allodox..thats very sad..but..isn't that the point of playing music? to go commerical and make money doing the thing you love?
  18. I always thought the point of playing music was to play music. Once your music evolves into a marketable gimmick, you've become the music industry's whore.
  19. I think he's more reffering to "they went commercial, so they felt that they were too good for me," or something like that. I think. That's what sounds like to me, anyway. Which is a pretty s****y deal, anyway. It seems to me AllodoX built a good friendship with them...and they've thrown it in his face. Of course, I could be incredibly wrong, and Allodo will be obliged to give my 50 lashings.

And AllodoX...don't you like how we're talking about you, in front of you? :D