Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Went to my local music store and......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xb100, Aug 28, 2005.

1. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Played on some awesome gear. I'm ganna review over everything I played.

First thing I saw of any interest was a svt-3pro, it was the only amp there woth looking at IMO. I hooked it up to a goliath III 8 ohm cab.

MAN!!! IT SOUNDED GREAT!!!

I thught at first it was ganna sound really mellow and not really have any color to it. Man I was wrong, although the 3pro only puts out 275 watts into 8ohms I think that would be sufficient enough for my band. Man it was a loud 275 at least I thought so.

I really like everything about the 3-pro other than the frequency knob, there are like 5 different things to choose from and it didn't seem like any of them changed the tone. But overall it was great sounding and loud. Price was kind of steep though 950$ For that much money I could get a svp-pro pre amp (essential the same pre amp in the 3pro) along with a good power amp and have twice the watts/headroom.

The goliath III was OUTSTANDING!
    Really good low end not to mention crisp high end and nice midrange to cut through. I had 3-pro's volume on 9 oclock and the whole store was shaking. Thats some serious firepower.

I really enjoyed everything about the golaith III.

The basses I played on were an ibanez sr505, ibanez edb600, ibanez roadgear 4 string, and a tradition 4 string.

The sr505 sounded GREAT the low B had way more definition and bite then the low B on my jackson. I could easily dial in any tone I wanted weather it be nice and mellow or high and glass like crispiness. Really versitle not to mention it weighs next to nothing compared to my 5 string.

The edb 600 was the bass I played on the most, I just plugged it in to the svt-3pro+goliath III and had instantly the tone I wanted. I also messed around with the pre in it and thought it was very versitle as well. I know some people don't like the luthite bodies, but they work for me.

The roadgear 4 string was alright to much high end sparkle for me. And thats about it.

The tradition 4 string was a standard 4 string a good 200$ bass which is what it is.

Overall I loved the svt-3pro+goliath III with the edb600. I would not hesitate to get either the sr505 or edb 600.

-Rob

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Not to mention some of the features of the svt-3pro. It has a pre amp out and a power amp in.

XLR out 2 1/4 speaker connections and 1 speakon.

It also has a fan which is REALLY quite, but you can notice it startup once you turn the unit on.

It has a mute switch so thats a plus.

What I'm thinking of doing is just buying the head itself along with a golaith III and if I need to I could just get a power amp and use the pre amp jack out to run the pre amp into the slave amp if I need the extra volume.

3. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I can't be the only person that thinks $950 is a bit steep for an SVT-III. I'd go used. Either way, they shouldn't even be that much new.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I don't know what they normally go for, but I'd NEVER pay $950 for an SVTIII. There are ALOT of great amps available for that kind of cash. Now an SVTII or a CL may be a different story.

5. The frequency dial isnt meant to change the tone much, just what mid-range you alter

6. If you're looking at spending that much... strongly consider Aguilar, Thunderfunk and Eden.

7. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    $899 at mf. i agree though, there's SO much better amps in that price range- you can get a gk 1001rb for $600 at www.riksmusic.com, a thinderfunk, etc... but it's an ampeg, and last i checked, they weren't having any problems selling them (except the portabass line ;) )

8. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Ya 950 is a to much for me anyways. I still can't get over how good that goliath III sounded.

I thought about getting a svp-pro pre+a qsc power amp along with 2 goliath JR. cabs.

But at the same time I wouldn't mind playing on some GK stuff cause everyone loves em so much.

One question I have though is I've been listing to alot of older 80's-90's rock/metal def leppard, quite riot, ac/dc, aerosmith ect. Anyways I really like the tone the bassist's have and I figured they would be playing through either gk or hartke gear, from what I heard hartke and GK +pointy bc rich basses were darn good back then.

-Rob