Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Went to Roger Sadowsky's shop and brought home a ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff Rader, Jun 9, 2002.

1. T-shirt!

I was in NYC this week on business. I went in a day before the rest of my team arrived so I could have Roger install a clear pickguard, do a setup and repair a dent on my Vintage 5. It was great to finally meet Roger and to see his shop. Also got to meet the rest of his staff who are as professional and as focused on quality as Roger. We talked for an hour, I got the grand tour of the workshop and played a couple of the instruments he had in stock - all of which were flawless... especially that P/J ;)

In an industry where "good enough" seems to be the norm and even acceptable, it's great to see there are still a few luthiers that consistently demonstrate that true skill, high standards and customer care are ideals that cannot be compromised. Roger is certainly one of the very best.

I also checked out Jimmy Coppolo's shop (Guitar and Bass Boutique). I knew Jimmy when he lived in Dallas. He also had a several very nice basses: a couple of F-Basses, a new design from George Furlanetto ("GFC", I think) which looked very interesting and played great and a very cool Elrick 5 string with a buckeye top/headstock and a wenge neck that couldn't have weighed 8 pounds - it was very light and sounded great.

I also went to Rudy's and Sam Ash. Didn't see anything really exciting for my tastes, anyway.

I ended the day at the Village Vanguard listening to the Jacky Terrasson trio. Wow! It had been a while since I had heard great live jazz and this was some outstanding live jazz. They are great players. I was sitting no more than 8' from the piano. It was also my first time to the Vanguard. Highly recommended.

Jeff

2. woos
    ;)

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Cool. :) Glad you had a good trip. Hmm... That's got me thinking... That's a Sadowsky that I can afford too! ;)

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Well if you sell your soul to the devil like I..........

.........ummmmm..........

.......have good credit, you can have one, too.

Glad you had a great trip, next time you're in NYC, I gotta free up my schedule.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Welcome to New Yawk! :D