1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Went to Rudy's in NYC this weekend...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kawai-chang, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Got to play a real live Ritter. Wonderful playing and feeling bass. As was the Zon Sonus 5.

Just wanted to share.

2. Right on. Rudy's is awesome! Only place I've gone to that compares is JiveSound down in VA.

3. For a smaller store, they sure make up for it in the selection of their gear. If I'd have had more time, I'd have spent the whole day in there just window shopping. The staff members were very very cool.

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I like Rudy's. They've got some very nice stuff.

You must have gotten them on a good day. I find they are very hit & miss. When they are cool, it's great. Other times, not so much.

Their "bass guy" basically called me an idiot because I asked if they happened to have a Bergantino NV610. Saying something along the lines of, this is NYC...nobody would ever play such a thing here.

5. 77PBass

77PBass Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
    +1. Jackson the bass guy is a strange cat. Not the guy I would have selling $10k basses. He has made some bizarre comments to me while shopping. Dean was much better.

Check out the Soho store. Everyone down there is fantastic (no basses in Soho but $30k archtops). I think there is something in the water on 48th street....

6. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Ahhhh, don't be hatin' on Jackson ;). Just think about the sheer number of morons that must come in that store every single day, it's got to wear you down after a while! But yeah, you can get a 'tude dropped on you at times .....

7. 77PBass

77PBass Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
    Yeah, 48th street is a rough place to work. Doesn't seem to bother Dean or the guys downstairs...

8. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    48th St. was soooo much better in the 80's before it became Sam Ash St. I work on 23rd and used to go up at lunch time often but I don't bother anymore.

To the OP, yeah, I feel you on the Ritters, they are mighty mighty! :D

9. arsie

arsie

Jan 19, 2011
    Singapore
    Funny how these guys have bass brand names.

10. 77PBass

77PBass Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
    LOL!

To say no one would play a 610 in NYC is absurd. A 410 is ok but a 610 is too much? Yeah...don't carry arguably the most popular cab in the line. Hmmm.

I would bet 50% of sales come from tourists buying things they can't get overseas judging from my experience in the store and who is shopping at the time.

I like the store and have spent probably $13k there. I will say they should up their game in the bass department. This is NYC for heaven sakes.

11. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    Jackson handled a trade for me involving two VERY high-end instruments (1966 Rickenbacker 4005WB and 1963 Fender Bass VI Custom Color). He was very helpful all the way. No complaints. Dean is a very nice guy too. Haven't dealt with anyone else there I would describe as particularly affable.

12. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    He basically said if it can't be easily carried up/down stairs or fit into a taxi easily that nobody would buy it.

Makes sense, but they are one of the few Berg dealers in the tri state area. People will go there and buy stuff, then bring it home. Like me. I live in Westchester, not the city.

It's cool. If they don't want my money somebody else sure will. 30th Street has some larger vintage stuff, Ludlow even had some vintage SVT and a few Aggie 410's, and there's always GC to fill in the Ampeg and Markbass.

13. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    ^^^This. Jackson is like that creepy kid who sat in the back of the classroom and talked to himself quietly, had no friends, wandered around all alone in the far corners of the playground during recess, and probably got pantsed in the locker room after gym.

Dean on the other hand is a professional.

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Great selection of gear, not a fan of their prices though.