1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Went to sam Ash today! saw a used stock sx for 280dollars!!!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Drifta, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Drifta

Drifta

Sep 13, 2006
    South Florida
    i know i know another music store rant but come on LOL are these guys serious?. They had a stock, 4 string classic burst sx jazz with no mods nothing... USED for 274 i think. So when sales man approached me, I ask, Excuse why is this priced at 274.

"well because it's used"
    me"yeah but they cost 109 dollars brand new from the dealer"
    "well I dont really like those basses" and then walks away i was clueless. I think he MIGHT have said i don't really like basses, but i hope i heard it right.

anyways they had a used AWESOME condition peavy t45 that was old for like 299 i was scratching my head. then they had a 5 string fender Jazz mexi used that i fell in love with that i want to trade my 4 stringer in for but i know these douchebags wont give me much for it. funny though;

this bass was marked "reserve" for some dude named ernie and it said "ask before use" and i looked and waited... no help.. so i figured ernie wouldnt mind if i grooved a bit.. haha.. So i walk to the counter and ask the dude i say "hey you got a reserved bass over there i'm interested" and before i could say anythng more he goes "i'll sell it to you today!".. before he even knew what bass i was talking about or when the reserve date was set for. geez... obviously won't ever reserve a bass there ! :rollno::rollno::rollno:

2. Jared92

Jared92

Nov 1, 2007
    Fairfax VA
    Wow they must be poor...

crazy story man, thanks for sharing!

3. Drifta

Drifta

Sep 13, 2006
    South Florida
    wierd, it was actually the best sam ash i've ever been to(inventory wise).

4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    A few years ago i took both a SX jazz and an SX P bass into a local consignment music shop i deal with. The guy there is a local bass player a damn good one too. I thought i might slip them in and ask more then i paid for them....Nope. Punker kids love cheap basses so i wanted like $135.00 ea.

Both had newer strings and one had CTS pots and duncan design pups in it completly rewired. He looked at them and said $75-85.00 tops :eyebrow: Dang! I took the one home and stripped out the better pots and pups but the originals back in and ended up selling both for $80.00 each to you guessed it punker kids. The bass tech knew of SX's and had sold a few before. He told me they didnt sell well. Everybody wants a brand name like Fender :smug: Unless its punker kids they dont care. Sam Ash is ripping folks off. Try printing Rondo's bass page off and walking in with it and see what they say.

5. Drifta

Drifta

Sep 13, 2006
    South Florida
    lol i would if i wanted another SX. i really want a 5 string jazz or p bass.

6. Dave R

Dave R

Sep 21, 2007
    Boise, ID USA
    I KNEW those Essex are worth more than we pay for them...

7. Was that the Sam Ash in Margate?

8. Drifta

Drifta

Sep 13, 2006
    South Florida
    nah; that one is pretty bad that place has no inventory. I just moved to orlando it was in east orlando. this place tho was 3x the size of that one in margate and had 10x as much stuff.

9. Cool thanks

10. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    We all know one can buy an SX bass direct from Rondo for dirt cheap money. When any of these budget beauties get cycled back into the second hand market, the brick and mortar stores that take them in, have the legal right to slap any price they want on them to make a fat profit. It's up to the consumer to be aware of what they might want to buy really costs, by becoming an educated shopper which the OP was. The store has a right to charge too much on anything they see fit, but if the inventory hangs on the wall for too long then they'll start putting the prices more in line with what their competitors are selling for. Actually I'm not surprised to hear the OP's tale. High mark ups are way too common in the used music gear biz.

11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I like how in your first paragraph you tell a story about how you tried to sell used SX basses for more than you paid, and then say Sam Ash is "ripping people off" by having a used bass for more than was paid for it. Classy.

And, honestly, you don't know how much Sam Ash paid for it. They might have given someone $175 credit for it by mistake.
    Besides--they only rip someone off if it sells, and anyone paying that much for one should have done at least a modicum of research before buying. Otherwise, it's their own damn fault.

12. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    thats Sam As h for you ... I'm personally boycotting Sam Ash over an issue I had with them last year. They had a clearance list and they had a 5 String Warlock for $85 that needed work.. so I wanted to see it to figure out if it was something that was salvageable and it was it needed a new bridge and new electronics so I told the guy I wanted to buy it. Then the salesman started to say that it wasn't for sale and it was already reserved for another customer. Why would they bring the bass out and let me see if if they didn't want to sell it to me? IMO Sam Ash is a joke as far as music stores go.

13. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    id expect them to atleast try and lookup whan an SX is worth..instead of just guessing..

14. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    And i bet if you went in there acting like you didn't know anytihng about basses like you were buying one for your sone they would try to convince you that it was better than a MIA Fender or Lakland.

15. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Dont be so clueless and clean out your eyes :rolleyes: I said in my OP one of the basses was modded + I was trying to only get a few bucks which covered my postage not hundreds like Sam Ash. You also didnt know this is a consignment shop so i always mark up my equipment there and haggle to cover my consignment fees.This was also before all the craigslist and ebay got rolling.

Trust me Sam Ash doesnt hand out cash for anything. You could take in great gear and they give you peanuts for it anyone knows it. A $175.00 credit on an SX are you crazy? Maybe your a Sam Ash fan or work there ;) These stores know what they are buying trust me and the blue book gives them fair market. Sam Ash was trying to rip off the unknowing.
    If my little shop has the standards to not mark up stuff to rip people off where does Sam Ash come off charging double for a used SX? Thats robbery and in your world of wit not CLASSY!

16. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Oh, for sure they would.

17. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    Heh! that happens at least toward the month end. Thye've made enough money for the month and the sales guys are instructed to not try anymore, it'd ruin the projections.