Went To See Cheap Trick Last Night!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Funkster, Jan 17, 2001.

1. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Seen Cheap Trick last night and man what a show! It was a small 1400 seat auditorium.
    Tom Peterson's sound was killer he used Hiwat and Orange guitar heads for the high strings on his 12 string bass and he had the lows run through a little old 60's or 70's Ampeg B15 flip top he played two different 12 strings and he brought out the old Thunderbird for a couple of tunes. We had front row seets and it was good to see them at there age still rocking as hard as they did in the 70's & 80's. Rick Neilson stole the show he is truly Rock&Roll he changed guitars every song it's amazing his sound never changeg. Best song of the night was That 70's show theme the whole place went wacko.
    I would love to jam with Bunn E Carlos his drumming was on fire last night. Well just wanted to share that with you all! Any other Cheap Trick Fans!
  2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I know...I know...everyone goes "oh, Cheap Trick :rolleyes:.
    But these guys are always super tight and put on a great show. I've had a lot of fun at their concerts over the years...:)
  3. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Thanks for the review, Funkster. I'm going to see them next Tuesday night in Atlanta, and I can't wait. The place they're playing holds about a thousand, so it should kick ass.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

They're just as great guys as they are musicians, too. I played in a band that was second bill to them when they were Fuse.
  5. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Nothing like showing your age, rickbass1! I used to see these guys all the time during their club days. I guess last year during the 25th anniversary show, Tom used an Epiphone Embassy. The Embassy bass I own used to belong to him (and, coincidentally, to Jon Brandt, who replaced Tom at one point). I'm sure it was a great show.
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yeah, gweimer, lotsa rings in this tree. I lived most of my life in St. Louis and played warm-up to other future stars of Illinois. You were influenced by Rob Grange? The Dukes taught me to use adhesive tape on the stage so I knew where the feedback zone is. You're the only person I've seen mentioning him! (your profile)
  7. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Let 'em say what they want about Cheap Trick. But Rick Nielsen knows how to rock n' roll, and Tom Hamilton's sound is MONSTROUS.

With their songs, their sound and their style, I don't think they're trying to impress anyone or make any kind of grandiose statement. They're just saying "This is us, we're here to entertain and have some fun."

Their songs are fun and they work.

I don't think it gets much better than that.

And re the comments about Rob Grange, be honest -- the bass part running through a phaser on "Stranglehold"...wasn't that just about the COOLEST thing you ever heard???

There were a lot of bassplayers and bass parts that made me WANT to play bass, but when I heard that I knew I HAD TO play bass.

[Edited by jcadmus on 01-19-2001 at 07:27 AM]
  8. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    rickbass1, it's even better than that. My first band included Ted's cousin on drums, so we used to see them everytime they hit Chicago, and this is back in the Amboy Duke days. I would watch Rob night after night in amazement. Watching him, I learned how to fan chords. Anyway, he also let me play his brand new Alembic one day, without blinking an eye.