Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Went to the church garage sale...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by embellisher, May 19, 2002.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

...and bought a piano!

There is a piano that was donated to the church a couple of years ago, that has just been taking up space. They were asking $300, but nobody bought it, so they let me have it for $200.

I bought it a week ago, but didn't get around to moving it home until yesterday.

I've always wanted a piano! Now, hopefully I can develop my shaky piano chops to something halfway respectable! And, we'll be having both of the kiddos take lessons.

For all of you gearheads;), it is an Acrosonic, and it says 'By Steinway'. I am sure that it is just marketed by Steinway, probably manufactured in a third world country somewhere.

It has pretty good tone for a spinet, and is louder than most spinets that I have heard as well.

Now I just need to get a piano tuner out. It is reasonably in tune, but there are a few sour notes.

2. You haggled a church?! :eek:

Its ok, about a month ago, I took a 9v battery from my church's enormous stock of them. *I do sound every other sunday, I figure they owe me at least one 9v battery for my troubles.* ;)

3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    You don't have a rottweiler wedged down in the wires, do you?

Congrats on the purchase, man! Let us know when you've got chops like Billy Joel!

4. I know a kid who apparently bought an old SVT 810. From what I heard it was kinda rundown and falling appart, but still....since when does a church need an 8x10???? On the other hand, it'd be interesting what else you could get at one of those sales.

5. embellisher

I don't think that the Piano Man has anything to worry about.;)

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Maybe you'll be more of a "Rocket Man."

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You know pics are mandatory, right?

8. embellisher

:D

Yeah, I need to get a digital camera.

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Buy it with the $100 you saved on the piano :D.

10. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I have an old Acrosonic spinet piano at home. They were made by Baldwin, and were fairly nice pianos. Post pics, and I'll compare it to mine.

11. Everyone knows you can'y play piano with a pic! It's all in the fingers, just the the bass!

:D

12. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Embellisher,

You need to get the pics up. Two years ago, when I moved away from Dallas, I donated my family's old Acrosonic piano to the Dallas Opera Guild as a tax write-off. They were supposed to fix it up and give it to a needy church or school. It would be too small of a world if you just bought my old piano.

13. embellisher

Man, now that would be a twilight zone moment! I'll have to borrow a camera ASAP!

14. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    have fun tuning it

:)

15. A friend of mine bought his acoustic from a church garage sale. It says B.C Rico (not Rich) on the headstock and sounds great and plays great with new strings. It's solid top and is all-around a good guitar. He worked at a music store in CA and so they asked him how much they should sell it for. He told them $25 and then gave them the money for it! Now that's beyond haggling the church.

16. embellisher

Not me!:eek: You can't just tune a piano with a chromatic tuner, there is an art to it. I will get a piano tuner out in a few weeks.