Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Went to the FBB shop today!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nick Bibeault, Apr 1, 2003.

1. This afternoon I went over to the FBB customs shop over in Northampton Mass. and all I can say is WOW! Matt's basses are incredible and put together really really well and sound great!(even sounded good played through a little gorilla combo at the shop). I like his neck shapes alot, the neck profile on the five strings I played look huge but they are super comfortable and easy to play. At the shop I had the opportunity to play Major Metal's Five string Dombro Prototype (#047-02 on the site) and a tenor five (#043-01 on the site) that he had in the shop.

MAJOR METAL: Your bass in incredible! it has a real nice smooth and comfortable neck profile with awesome super clean midrange growl with a nice solid B string.
    You are going to love that bass and if you don't I will buy it;) :)

Xush: Your single cut 8 string looks incredible! Thant is one of the greatest pieces of buckeye burl I have ever seen, awesome color. The neck is super smooth and the wenge/purpleheart neck combo with the maple veneer looks great. It looks almost done and I believe Matt said he would bring it home tonight to finish it up.

Jon Chewning: the pics you got from Matt do not do that top justice, It looks like an awesome bass.

Jason Carota: Your spalt single cut 6 looks awesome as well and I can't wait to see it finished.

Wow, It was great to be able to go and check out Matt's shop and I really look forward to him building my single cut quilt maple top five string hopefully in the near future but after seeing the 43-01 I might get the lacewood top with a ziricote board, or maybe a claro walnut top like MAJOR METALS. This is a real hard decision!:D :D

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I'm envious...

Thanks for the report. I'd love to get up there one day.

I had almost managed to put the 8 out of my mind for a while, the last few weeks are tough, anticipation-wise. Now ya got me all riled up again!

3. Sorry Xush, I had to do it. If I held all this excitement in me I would explode:D

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    where are the pictures, my good man?
    Surely you didn't neglect to document this visit?!!!

5. dang dang dang dang dang dagnabbit all to heck!!!

AAIIEEEEEEEEEE!!! The MADness!

must... touch... my... precious...

That was really sick, man. You must know how we addicts are. :D

6. Sorry no pics, left my digital cam at home:(

7. :D :D Sorry, I can see why you are all addicts. I'm having some serious GAS pains right about now that won't go away till I own one of these basses.

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I am having the creeping feeliing that I am missing something very good here...

9. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Thanks, Nick. :)

10. No prob, I like the look of the tail of the body behind the bridge, it really ads a cool sort of style to it

11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Didn't happen to play the singlecut 6 or 7 did you? Man, I really love the looks of that 7.

12. Sorry, those wern't at the shop but if they are anything like the ones I played you can count on them being awesome.

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks so much for the review, I have never played this bass so this helps greatly. What have you found on the weight of the basses. Thanks for the review.:)

14. I don't think weight is going to be an issue. The bass didn't feel that heavy at all and was comfortable to play. hope you enjoy.:)