Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Went to the flea market, came back with...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Jun 13, 2004.

1. An old Ampeg V-6B head.

I was walking around, and I noted something in a case, and I noticed it was an Ampeg. And once I saw it was $125, I couldn't resist. I ended up talking the guy down to $100.

So I brought it home, plugged it in, heard a normal pop. And nothing... :meh: :eyebrow:

So, I'm thinking the inputs might be shot, and maybe a tube or two blown out.

So can anyone give me any specs for this amp. As it is the first time I have seen one.

Even if it doesn't work, it will make a great restoration project. Sadly no pics with it, as I have no digital camera. :meh:

But I will send an e-mail to ampeg with a serial number to see when it was made. More details coming.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The V6Bs were introduced in 1974 are are entirely solid state. According to my Ampeg book "Ampeg, the story behind the sound" by Hopkins and Moore, the amp was produced through 1980.

They're rated 240 watts rms (don't know the minimum impedance) and were advertised as being modular for easy servicing (the Magnovox touch).

The matching speaker cabinet was a 2x15 ported cabinet, much like the recent Ampeg 2x15.

Have fun!!!!

3. Thanks BillyB!

4. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Sounds like a good catch for $100, considering its fixable without too many complications.

5. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Sounds more like a bad filter cap (possibly shorted) ....and possibly a blown fuse as a result. Or could be as simple as a bad solder joint.

Please forgive me but...."inputs shot" and "tube blown out" are not likely, and don't really make a lot of sense, although I have actually seen a "tube blown out", once.

Not dissin on you, just educat'n.

There is probably a bad component, but no telling right now where it is.

Older equipment usually has one problem that is the reason why it isn't used anymore, plus aging problems from sitting unused. Typically the latter is dried up electrolytic capacitors, but corroded tube pins (hopefully not the grid pin!) is another possibility, along with missing tubes robbed to fix something else, etc.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Notanaggie...no grid pins here, just bases, emitters and collectors...the V6B is one hundred percent solid state...

I had a thought...perhaps the modularity that I mentioned earlier is the problem (or part of the problem). The Acoustic 370 heads had connectors on the PC boards for easy servicing. I've seen the insides of a number of these old work horses and have found many of them have had the modular connectors removed and the wiring harnesses soldered to the circuit board to eliminate the problems of corrosion and vibration.

7. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    OK

Kaz mentioned tubes, and I didn't bother to look it up, since the thing is his, and I figured he musta seen them......!

Connectors is a good possibility, line in/out jacks, etc, etc. Even bad electrolytics. A lot of the solid state stuff is "single supply" and has an output coupling cap as well as the power supply caps.

If so, that almost always means it turns on woith a "pop". So the "pop" could be a good thing in that case. Might be something fairly simple, if nobody else has been in there trying to fix it with a soldering gun, etc.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Here are some pictues of the V6B that I grabbed long ago from an ebay auction.

9. Bingo.

Except mine has a polarity switch on it... :confused:

Oh well, one more knob/switch/button never hurt.