Went To the New Guitar Center In charlotte Today :)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ldiezman, Jan 11, 2002.

1. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Well on a whim, My friend and I decided after class we would go to see what the new Guitar Center in Charlotte NC had. We get there and first thing I walk into the "bass room. several fenders, some jacksons, Some OLPs.. which I played but nothing like the real thing. well I say two pudullas hanging up on the wall. Well I knew I had to try one because I have never played one before. I don't know which one it was. but it was a 5 string bass with a pickguard and two jazz pickups. I plugged in and this bass just sang to me. WOW it was really nice. Birdseye maple fretboard. just beautiful. I did have a hard time hearing because like 4 kids were in there picking the biggest bass they could find and plugging into the most speakers they could see and banging the crap out of it.. i really hate that. so i'm trying to hear myself without cranking the amp up any louder as to not be obnoxious and 3 older gentlemen ( i say older.. older than me.. probably 30-40's) and started to talk to me about basses. It was pretty neat. Not every day besides on here you get to talk to people who you can have decent conversations about Electric bass. But they were all digging the pedulla ;). But then some guy who worked there walks over to where the kids are beating up a bass (which they had put down the jackson basses, and had picked up a 5-string fretless pedulla) the employee picks up the pedulla from the kids, say "yeah I don't really like pedullas at all they have terrible tone..." and started slapping octaves on the bass. impressing the guys he was playing in front of but it made me want to vomit.... if that wasn't bad enough, he then pickup up a B.C rich and was like "this is an excellent bass, all these pickups give you much better control and variation in your tone" Not to crap on BC rich.. i don't like them all that much. but if you got one good for you... but the pedulla was really rockin the suburbs for me... Call me a crazy guy but I just loved that warm growling bass... Just telling thought I would let you guys know about about 1) my first trip to the brand new Guitar center and 2) my first test drive of a pedulla ;).. But alas I still love My ray 5... but just maybe.. when i get enough money... that pedulla will be mine :)

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sounds like a Rapture J2. Awesome bass. I'm lobbying for a ThunderBolt 5 right now. Sort of a mate for my TBolt 5 Fretless.

3. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    yeah that is it.. :)
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That picture above is my ThunderBolt fretless 5. Notice no pickguard. The Rapture J2 has two J pickups with 'guard. I took the liberty of sprucin' up ol' Uforia's Rapture. Here y'go.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hey, Munji, that bass looks kinda familiar.:)
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Wow! I think that's the same model that I was drooling over when we were shopping for my Sterling. GC Arlington Heights/Chicago had (has?) a teal one with birdseye board and white pearl pickguard - it was beautious!
  7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    oh yeah thats the one. the One I played was like an emerald green color with a perloid pickguard.. most nice...
  8. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Well I am not fond of Guitar Center for various reasons BUT I wish I could afford a Pedulla Rapture fretted bass. I tried one out and it sounded amazing. The price is a bit too high but... Pedulla is one of those under rated basses. Maybe one day.
  9. Everyone here knows I'm a big Spector fan, however, I really admire Pedulla basses. Especially the Thunderbass!!! Perhaps one day I will buy one.
    Obviously the comments of those who said that Pedulla basses have crappy tone are those of an uneducated opinion. To the defense of BC Rich basses, their high end, non pointy model custom shop basses are of very good quality. Hard to find on a wall in a store though. Most stores that carry BC Rich basses carry the low quality import line that is marketed towards teens.
  10. I've played that one over at MY GC. I love the sound. And it's so funny to see the looks on some punk's face when I take it down instead of an Ibanez or P bass and start dishing out Classical Thump.

Tis quiet an instrument. Wish I had the money to get one.:( They retail for about what, $2000? Worth it, though.

Rock on
  11. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    there's an identical Rapture here in Mobile, I haven't played it yet, but I sure hear good things about them.
    I am still enthralled with my Pentabuzz, hope the honeymoon never ends...
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've made a few posts declaring my love of the Pedulla T-bolt 5er with the 19mm string spacing. It's abou the best 5er I've ever played. Only bass that's ever over GASed it was another Pedulla, the Pentabuzz fretless 5 w/ fretlines. I about flipped. That's gonna be my next bass, I tell you what...
  13. I work at the Grand Rapids Michigan guitar center. We open up on Thursday. The guy who is in charge of all GC's grand opening's, said 1800 people came throught the doors opening night at the store you went to. Hopefully we'll have about the same number..
    We have three pedulla for opening.
    The rapture 5 excatly like the picture you guys have
    A penta buzz5
    and a thunderbass zerbawood/ash 5 ( the nicest looking bass in the store)
  14. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    ok guys,dont kill me but whats classical thump?ive heard alot about the song around here,and i was wondering what it is.who did it,and where can i hear it?