Went to the pet store...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by embellisher, Apr 20, 2002.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

...bought a new bass!

I had to go get our bird some food, and of course since Guitar Center is only 3 blocks from the bird store, I just had to go in and look around, right?

So, I bought a Hamer 12 string, marked down to $299 at GC! And it is new, still had the plastic on the cavity cover, truss rod cover and the back of the tuners!

There is one small ding on the bottom edge, but all in all I think that I got a heck of a deal!

I've wanted one of these ever since I got into King's X several years back, and I am planning on using it on two of our originals.:cool:

I don't have any pics yet, but it looks just like this one.

2. woah.. that's a nice thingy there, Jeff :)

congrats ! :D
  3. Congrats Em-Bel! Welcome to the world of expensive string changes!

4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    hold-up just one minute. Jeff I swear you've been G.A.Sin for a Stingray, and then you go and do something like this?! what is this world comming to. Just kidding, i've played model just like that before. but i remember the price being much higher then that. like $1000... hmm.. Its a cool bass, Hope you love it as much as you would love a Ray ;) :)
  5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    When I go to a pet shop, I never take much cash with me, and I leave my credit card at home.

The reason is simple : everything I went to a pet shop, I used to come back home with one or two new cats. I have six now. Fortunately, I have a large house.

All the best,
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That was a great deal, Jeff!

A local store has one ($650, as I recall) - it's delightful, but totally inappropriate for me since I only play fingerstyle. It was enough to convince me that any multistring future I have is in an eight string, not a twelve. What an unforgiving instrument!

Enjoy it, and bask in the warm glow of a good deal!
  7. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i dont like playing so many strings,but i like hearing guys in music shops playing chords and stuff with those.they sound awesome.
  8. AAAARGGGGGHHH!!!!!! i wanted one of those for so long!!! maybe i could convince my parents to *ahem* "sample" it. :D
  9. Nice to have choices, ain't it!

10. nice deal, cool bass! John Myung (of Dream Theater) used either an 8 or a 12 string Hamer on their last album, sounds very cool. btw. how do you tune that thing ?
  11. lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    ya i was sorta wondering that myself. geez im going to the petstore to have the dog groomed soon (god she smells) and theres a guitarcenter like 60 yards away.(thats sorta weird). i dont think i'll come out with a twelve string though(although maby a pack of strings!not as excting as the twelve string though.:rolleyes: )congrats on a great deal though.
  12. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Nice bass, Jeff!

thebug: IIRC, a 12-string like that one(4 string triplets) is tuned: eeE aaA ddD ggG.

Man someone around here had a cool idea of tuning the triplets into powerchords (EBE, AEA, DAD, GDG[I hope those are right]). Who was that?
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've played those! They're nice. I was having a lot of fun manipulating only the drone strings, and then the regular strings. It was like having a wierd guitar/bass thing, and it was a lot of fun! I'd own one if I thought I could actually get used to one enough to thrash around on it live.
  14. embellisher

John Davis is correct on the tuning, although I have considered tuning the octave string to a 5th, or maybe even a power chord, like he said.
  15. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Do you have to get guitar strings plus bass strings for it? Are there packages of 12-string bass strings?

congrats, jeff.
  16. embellisher

As near as I can tell, no store sells a 12 string set. And no string manufacturer has a prepackaged one.

Most of the manufacturers of 12's(Chandler, Musicvox, Hamer) offer 12 sets by email.

I am currently checking with GHS to see how much a custom set is.

Regular guitar strings are too short for this bass, it is a full 34" scale. Which is too bad, because one of my octave strings for the G string is missing.
  17. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Nice buy, Jeff!!!

(BTW, does Dean sell strings for theirs?)

Time to get yer t-shirt, I guess

embellisher likes this.
  18. embellisher

How did you know I was on the 12stringbass.com site?:p

Yeah, I need one of those shirts.

I couldn't find any information on Dean selling 8 and 12 string sets.
  19. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    that is a really great deal on that bass! congrats! I have been looking at the Dean 8 strings myself!

20. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Congrats!!!! You got a MEGA SMOKING DEAL!!!! WOW!!!