Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Went to the store for a Warwick Thumb BO-5...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AllodoX, May 25, 2002.

1. ... and came home with a Cort 35-series 5-stringer, and an Akai SB1 Deep Impact bass-synth

( this is the 4-string version... mine is 5-string )
    [​IMG]

here's the story

So i went to Klomp Music in 's-Hertogenbosch to place my order for a Thumb Bolt-On 5 string bass..

it was a tad crowded, so i had to wait.. to kill some time i peeked at what basses he had in store.. there was this one bass that had wooden knobs, so i thought " what the ? lets try it.. "..

when i picked it up i was like " WHAT THE **** !?!? ".. that bass was light ! lighter than a 4-string P-bass :eek: !!

so i plugged it in, struck the B-string and almost killed a little kid that was standing in front of the Ampeg 6x10" that was standing there
    Whoops.. sorry.. let me turn that volume knob down a little :p

The bass had amazing lows and very plesant highs.. it really supprised me how good it sounded, even tho it's featherlight.. the sound was pretty similar to that of an Ibanez BTB 1005, which i happen to quite like :)

so curious as i was i turned the bass over to see the price-tag.. it costed a staggering amount of money ! 628 euro ! woah ! that's real cheap for a 5-string bass with such good sound, and not to mention body-thru stringing.. woah..

so i drove home like a madman to pick up the yamaha and the ibanez.. and made a clean trade ..

yamaha + ibanez for a Cort + Akai

yeah.. i'm in love ! but i will get that thumb someday.. maybe next year.. who knows ! :D

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Congrats!

im also on the market for a midpriced five stringer, ill give it a try when i find one

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    LOLOLOLOLOLOHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Thanks, I needed that:D :p Congrats. Looks like a REALLY nice bass!!!!!

4. Mmm... shopping on impulse, nothing like it.
    Enjoy!
    And try not to miss your Yamaha too much. I sure miss the one I had, and traded for my Warwick. I want it back!

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  6. i will probably replace the wooden knobs for rubber-coated plastic ones ( high-end bass style :D ).. the wooden ones feel weird..

now all i need to do is find LONG (!) strings.. the bass is 35" scale AND thru-body... so the strings would have to be long.. i'm thinking of Ibanez BTB copper/stainless strings ( blue / silver ones )..

7. Off topic, I know, but since I know that you're a BO Thumb fan Allodo, have you seen this?
    [​IMG]

It's an all maple Thumb BO Maple Monster, limited edition, sadly enough available only from Art of Sound in Germany. I wish it was a standard model, only because of it's looks. And I can only start to imagine what it would sound like. Something tells me that it's name is appropriate.

8. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    I treid a cort 35 yesterday, sounded really good, but ended up with a Thumb (thru-neck), LEDS, Status EQ and pickups for only GBP50 more

I had to buy the warwick

9. congrats AllodoX! very nice deal! enjoy your new bass! just like lousybassist said, nothing beats shopping on impuls ;)

10. :)

It just occured to me that 1500 euro for a bass is a lot of money.. and this bass sounds and plays just as nice.. and it's about 1/3rd of the weight & price..

i just wonder.. are those mightymight pickups good ?

11. isn't it strange, I mean you've been talking about buying a Warwick for months and end up buying a Cort. Just like me, I always walk into a store thinking I am absolutly sure about what bass I'm gonna buy, but I always end up with a completly different one (I wanted to buy a Fender Jazz, bought a MM Stingray, I wanted to buy an Ibanez, bought a Dean etc.)

The cort on the pic looks pretty damn good....

btw. light basses rule!

12. the piccy is delusive..

The bass is much lighter..

13. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    you're mighty might pu's can easily be upgraded to barts... (the M5 shape)...you'll ear a great difference!!
    JP

14. different in what ways ? i really love the lows the mighty's produce.. :)

15. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    well, you'll maybe end up with less output (IME with cort basses and mighty migth pu's) but with that barto sound. Defined lows and punchy mids.

You have also the choice to use the for conductors of the barts to add some switching...like series/parallel/split or outer/inner coils, etc...

BTW, if you love the mighty migth sound, stay with it for the moment...

JP

16. :oops: I didn't mean the color, but the weight, my mistake. I don't like very heavy basses........

17. Julien

Julien

Dec 29, 2001
    Paris,France
    hey allodox weren't you supposed to get a streamer lx??(thought i read that in a former post)

18. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I thought AllodoX would prefer an ultra-versatile Ibanez.:D

Congrats on the Cort. I guess they're making strides...

19. yeah.. well actually :D

at first i wanted a Pedulla rapture J2.. then i saw the Pedulla Thunderbass at good price, so i wanted that one :) Then i heard and played the Warwick streamer LX-6.. but since i didn't see any use for the 6th string.. i went for the LX-5.. then i played the thumb bolt-on.. and loved it.. and now i ended up with a Cort :D

20. :D :D Impulse buying is the best!! Great choice!!

(Just ask the self-proclaimed master lacking control of same- JT). :rolleyes:

:cool: Seriously - this is a great looking bass, and if you are in love with the way it sounds as well, then the impulse must have been your soul speaking.......and we all know that:

........... BASS = SOUL!!

(or sex, or something - what the h*ll do I know?)