Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Went to the store to get an amp, now I'm totally confused

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkySpoo, Sep 5, 2002.

1. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Went into my local shop to start the process of looking and testing power amps. They carry Crown, Mackie, QSC, Crest and some other that I can't remember right now. Anyway, I told the guy that I'm a bass player with two 8 ohm cabs and that I would like to get an amp that would push around 1400 watts bridge mono @ 4 ohms. First off he says that none of these amps should be run at 4 ohms, they just cant take it. Second he says that the only way to get good bass is to have big transformers, that switching power supplies and digital amps are no good for bass. Then he starts saying how the QSC isn't any good, the Mackie isn't worth the money and the Crown CE and Crest LT series are really just junk. And that the only amp that he has that would bridge at 4 ohms is the Crest CPX series. :confused: :confused: :confused:
    Is this sales guy nutz or have I misunderstood all that I have read hear on TB about these amps.
    Please any and all power amp techies and users help. Bob Lee of QSC your input on this would be very interesting, since this retailer is telling customers your amps aren't any good. Thanks and sorry for the long post :)

2. hey, don't wanna hijack the thread, but i'm also interested in power amps (mostly finding info for future use) Do QSC make special bass power amps, or is the RBX (???) series ok to use?
    sorry
    back to the thread now :)

*Si*

3. Wow. Ignorant sales people. Running amps at 2ohms might be touchy but 4 ohms???? What a maroon! So, was the amp he suggested the most expensive of the lot or the only one they had in stock? Sounds to me that he was more interested in making a sale than making sure you bought the amp that would best suit your needs.

4. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    That's the weird part. The CPX is the low end Crest series. It was the cheapest one in that power range.

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Wow.. your salesguy doesn't seem to know much.

I can understand saying not to run a cab a 2ohms..

But Power amps are power amps... You don't need some huge transformer to be heard..

Get a QSC.. they work just fine

6. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    QSC has user manuals available for download at their website. You can refer to the manuals for specific models with regard to running them with a 4 ohm load. I would think you could also find manuals online for other brands.

I think that salesperson is an example of how a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Sounds like you were at GC, or was it Sam Ash, or Mars?? he also sounds like a guitar player... ;)

seriously, everything you know it true, and everything he told you is pure you-know-what. you know what you want, so get it! dont listen to some ignoramous.

8. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Believe it or not it wasn't any of those supermarket type stores. Should I name the store? I don't know if I should

9. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Sure wish Bob Lee would pop up here.

10. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    The models you mentioned will run all day at 4 ohms bridged. I know that QSC specs this out in their owners manual. I wouldn't worry about it. The question is how much weight do you want to lug around. By the way, QSC makes the RMX 1850HD which some claim is optimized for bass rigs. Check all the manufacturers web sites. I don't think I've seen any problems from people who have power amplifiers on this board relating to what this sales person told you.

11. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Thanks guys for all your replies. Yeah I thought this guy was nutz, but as I know very little about this stuff, (only what I've been able to read and understand from the excellent threads here on TB), he kinda threw me for a loop. I have been to all those amp web sites to look at the specs. And get this, he told me that they put these amps on their bench and that they really couldn't handle a 4 ohm load. He also told me that the Crest LT series has been discontinued due to reliability issues. But on the Crest web site it shows the LT series as "new". I just e-mailed Crest and am waiting to hear from them. At this point I'm most interested in the Crest Lt1000. Any body else have one? How do you like it?

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    So that's why it's so damn heavy :D

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Crest is owned by Peavey. Get a QSC PLX at your desired power. Yes, the sales guy is either brain dead or an escaped convict.

Before you start to guffaw, CLICK HERE.

14. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    hey, everyone's got an opinion. whether you agree with it or not is your option. not all people like the sound of the lightweight/digital/switching amps for bass.

and its not that they wont work 4 ohms bridged, but that you might end up giving it a shorter lifespan since youre working each side at 2 ohms.

15. Bass Player mag did a power amp shoot out a few years ago and it was very detailed. Go to their site and do a search. They liked Crest, SWR and Mackie the best, and they tell you why.

16. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I don't think the guy was totally nuts. Maybe just a bit too opininated, but not nuts. You certainly can run most modern amps at 4 ohms in bridged mode. It sounds to me like he was probably talking about reserve power. To get a big bass sound, you need lots of reserve power on tap. In a traditional amp, this was done using big capacitors and an oversized output transformer. This is how an SVT is designed, as well as my trusty Aguilar DB 728. This is also how you get huge bass from a car stereo. Put a giant capacitor in line with the sub-woofer feed. This capacitor recharges whenever the bass is quiet and feeds a ton of juice to the speaker when the bass kicks in.

Modern switching amps are designed to achieve the same goals without the power transformer and caps.

BTW, Munji, Crest makes awesome amps. I don't think Peavey's recent purchase of them is going to change that one bit.

17. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Swingbass,
    You need to find a new store to shop at! any of the amps mentioned will work perfectly for bass. and digital amps have come a LONG way in the past couple years.
    Would YOU like to tell my Walter Woods "Ultra" that it won't blow your head off at 50 paces?!?
    GEEK

18. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    I hear ya. Luckily the "pro sound" section is in a separate building from the instruments. The guys in the instuments building are really great and know their stuff and won't bug you if you just want to try out some stuff.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    So that's where you went. :D

Sounds like the pro sound guy is giving you advice based on PA extremes and probably not how you would be using the amp.

I'm no expert on current amp technology. If you're going to be driving your two EAs, I'd get the amp that would "comfortably" run those at your gig volume.

20. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Yep, I thought that would give it away to the locals. ;)
    I also think he may have been trying to up sell me to a more powerfull amp to run those EA's at 1000 watts per side at 8 ohms. I figure I'd be fine with something around 1000 watts @ 8 ohms and 1200 to 1400 @ 4ohms bridged.