Went to visit Grandma... got a Peavey Cirrus...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Muttluk, Dec 26, 2001.

1. I went to SF today to visit my grandmother in the hospital, and the way back, i noted to my mom that we were really close to GC. Going in there to buy some strings i happen to notice a Peavey Cirrus 5 on the floor. Walk over pick it up, nothing but pure heaven. I break myself away from the bliss for a second to check out the price. "Used: $899". I call over a salesman and ask if its $900 firm, or negotiable. He says that probably $900, but nothing is impossible. I ask if it comes w/ a case, he says well.. we were going to sell it seperatly for another $100, but i'll throw it in. I point out that i had just watched one slip by me on Ebay for around $800. He asks how does $800 w/ case for free sound to me. I told him he's got a deal. So...

Mint Peavey Cirrus 5, about a year old. I'm not sure if the Wood is Bubinga or Wenge, but its very beautiful. $800 out the door. Now i just cannot wait till the 12th when they let me take it home. (Aparently you've got to wait 30 days from when a used item comes in the door because of the fact it may be stolen, so they need to check around).

I'm so excited though... my first 5'er, after much debate if i should go with another 4 to replace my Fender Jazz MIM, (which by the way has dead spots everywhere past teh 10th fret), or to spring on a 5. This just felt so natual for me, i had to get it.
  2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
  3. Sounds like a killer bass, and a great deal. I am hoping that someday I will find a nice bass for a really good price.

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Congratulations on the Cirrus! On a more serious note, I hope that your grandmother is doing well.
  5. You just HAPPEN to have $800+ lying about? What do you DO for a living?!:D

Nice yoink, though. And I also hope your Grandma gets better.

Rock on
  6. I'm actually taking out a loan from my parents, because i'm currently out of work :( ... then again... i'm only 16 ;) .
  7. Ooooo, ouch. $800 is quite a bit. That's gonna be like what, your first 3 or 4 paychecks?:eek:

Rock on
  8. I already had $250, but yeah... they're going to see the first few paychecks of mine. Its not as bad as when i bought the Gretsch... $1250... i dont recall working long enough to even see the cash from any of my paychecks :rolleyes:, but it was well worth it. The good thing is that if i kiss their butts, i dont get charged interest (they claim it preps me for the "real" world), and as long as i keep on payments on time, they'll let me do it again.
  9. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Hehe...800? Pocket change:p

My parents bought my 300T and 215. I'm paying them back $100 per month. Then I have a truck I'm paying right at $200 a month on. Plus insurance, gas, and upkeep? No strings for me:(
  10. thats the exact reason why i saved up on my own for my eden rig... would have been freakish to have to take out a $2,000 loan...
  11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    And with that, the deal fairy's work is almost done for 2001. Do be good little boys and girls.
  12. Ah yes! the teacher arrives... Many thanks brad, you've saved me $300+ in less than 2 months.
  13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Thank you... and congrats, that's a sweet deal.
  14. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    If it is wenge, it should be a dark chocolate brown color. Bubinga is considerably lighter colored, and you can see much more of the grain pattern. Go to www.peavey.com and click on "Cirrus woods".

Anyways, congrats on a killer deal on a killer bass.:D Man, it would suck having to wait for them to let you take it home. I couldn't handle that, knowing what I had there with my name on it and not being able to play it. Oh well, it is worth the wait.;)
  15. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Got mine on ebay. Great basses, and best out of all I've owned. Worth every bit what you paid for it.
  16. You have to wait 30 days??? Thats weird.

I have heard of a 7 day waiting period on handguns but never for a bass.

Good buy!!
  17. Cirrus

Cirrus Guest

Apr 30, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    They need to make sure he's really calmed down after purchase so he doesn't go funk someone to death.

18. Yeah, i was kicked back by it, but i can understand where their coming from. these days, it seems more and more stuff is getting stolen, and Music Stores are getting screwed on the money there, adn then have to deal with the person who bought it from them. It makes sense to me, no matter how much i dont like the idea of having to wait for the bass i bought.

...It's Bubinga by the way...
  19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Here in Maryland it's the law. It basically protects the buyer, once it's checked out you shouldn't have to worry about buying stolen gear. I like that.
  20. any of you guys know where i can find a Cirrus schematic or manual, since i got mine was used, i didnt get to see any of this stuff. I already checked all over the peavey web page, and had no such luck.

Also, does anyone know if you can buy just the strap part (the part that screws on to the strap holes, and clips into the bass) for dunlop strap locks? (is it even dunlop strap locks on the cirrus?), because mine didnt come with that part, only the buttons screwed into the bass.