Went to work....got a Stingray 5!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Reccord, Mar 1, 2002.

1. I've been looking for a 5 string for a while now, and I had my choices narrowed down to an L-2500 or a Stingray 5. Last week I decided in favour of the SR5. I called or emailed a dozen Musicman dealers trying to find the best price on what I wanted. Then yesterday, I was looking through the Bargain Hunter at work and noticed that someone was selling one. It's blue with a white PG and PU, matching headstock, rosewood board, less than a year old and in immaculate condition. I was looking for maple with a black PU but I went to see the guy anyway. I wasn't expecting to buy it. I played it for about an hour and gave it a good inspection. I loved it. The guy wanted $1400 for it, I offered $1200 and we settled on $1300, plus he threw in an Ultimate guitar stand. Before you guys tell me how badly I got ripped, those numbers are in Canadian dollars :D $1300 CAD translates to $800 US dollars. After 16 years I finally bought a 5'er. Now I gotta get used to it......:D.
    Pictures soon, hopefully....
  2. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Congrats man. welcome to the club.. Can't wait to see some pics. Hope you injoy your ray 5 as mush as I like mine
  3. Oh man that's great. Welcome to the club from me as well. I don't have a 5er, but, a Stingray 4, but, all Musicman owners are linked by an inseparable bond that goes beyond this life. :rolleyes:

O.K. enough of my stupid dramatics. Congratulations on buying one. At that price, you got a good deal. It's gonna be hard puttin' her down.

Enjoy. :)
    Mike J.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Great deal, SG! Now we need to see some pics of it.:D
  5. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    My Stingray 4 and 5 are my main players. You're going to like the Ray more and more the longer you have it. I think the fiver B stacks up to a lot more expensive basses. You did great on the $800 US. Congrats, and get busy with it.
  6. stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    Welcome fromm e as well. i love my ray 5. it is the best bass for that price i have found.
  7. Way to go SG! Good deal. Can't wait to see some pics.
  8. Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    Best of luck The Mighty Stingray5 will serve you well
  9. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    'Ray 5's are very good basses, arguably the best value out there at their price. Good move, amigo.
  10. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Went to work...got nothing. (But tried everything in the store!)
  11. Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    well... i played this bass u got and in a fact i think u got it for great price... normaly are really expensive as hell ( well my spector was expenisve before too :))) second hand rulez), but i like that sound :)

btw i have done that mistake that i bought new warwick with bolton neck and gave it to some guitarmaker to put on a signature.. well the neck went into rotation grrrrr and it`s not gonna be okay again..ggggrrrrr wasted 1000$
    bolt on suxx
  12. OK, so I picked the bass up Thursday night. HAd to go out of town for a (sound) gig on friday..... So I tortured myself thinking about it all weekend. Just got back in town and had a little play. I'm really digging it. The strings are dead so I have to get a new set tommorrow and do a little setup tweak..... I can't believe I've been playing for 16 years and this is my first 5 :eek: :p Pics soon hopefully. I should be able to borrow a digital cam from work...