Went up to Carvin the other day

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I don't go there too often. It's about 35 miles from my house, and I'm not usually going that way. But I've been thinking (again) about different basses, and since they're in my home town, why not try them again?

I liked them better this time. I tried LB's, BB's and XB's, mostly sixers. I had some time, so I twiddled the knobs quite a bit and was able to get some sounds I liked. I do think the XB B string sounds better, what with the extra inch and all, but I thought they all sounded pretty good. I've been playing some heavy basses lately (mostly my franken-P and Dean 6), and the Carvins felt nice and light. I'm starting to like the compact body shape of the neck-thrus, especially with the rounded body sides option. They felt comfortable. I even liked the MM-style pup. So anyway, I'm thinking about it.

What I don't understand is why they have basses on display that aren't set up, especially when you're at the factory showroom. It's not like they've been shipped across the country. The XB had action about half an inch high at the 20th fret. The BB76 had a C-string piezo saddle that didn't work. The LB76 I looked at also had high action and I could barely turn the bass knob. These are the kinds of things that make me wonder if I really want a Carvin. The ones I played where everything worked, and the action wasn't four miles high, were pretty nice.
  2. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    That's pretty unusual in my experience at Carvin's retail stores, and at the factory showroom. You should tell one of the salesdudes on duty - they can probably get it set up for you in a matter of minutes.
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I hate to say it, but that's been more or less my usual experience here in San Diego. And if you mention anything to the sales guys they just say, "Yeah, we'll have to have a tech look at that."
  4. funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    That was my experience too. I went to the factory showroom about a year ago, and I couldn't find one five string bass with a decent setup. The action was way too high on all of them. I played a couple of fours that were pretty nice, but I wish I could've played them with something besides a Carvin rig. Didn't really go for the amps. Keep in mind that I went there really wanting to like their basses and was considering ordering one before my visit.

As always, just my opinion. I know there are a lot of very happy Carvin owners out there.
  5. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well,, i just dropped by my local Covina Carvin store and had a blast!!! Played a KILLER XB fretless 6er,,, wow! Incredibly clean sound,, great playability,, turn to the piezo for some grit,, the neck pickup for some warmth!! It was beautiful too,, 5 piece neck with marbled Koa wings. BUT,, i dont know if I'd drop the $1280 they were asking for it,, even if its just because I'd want to throw Barts in it and resale value plummets..

PS,, it was setup great,, low action,, in tune and bright strings.,, so were several others i played.