wentto Perrys Music got flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mans0n, Aug 28, 2002.

1. mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    Well! this isnt really a question, is relating to strings but also will include todays journey info. i felt i fit in here the best

So! today i got really bored and had some money to burn so i decided to goto the guitar shop near my house here in Villa Park Illinois, outside of Chicago the shop is called Perrys Music Center. well this was a great experience, seeing that i have lived here for 2 years, and live 2 blocks away from the shop. the staff, i spoke to an older man. was extremely friendly and helpful. i said i was interested in some flatwounds and got in a nice conversation and learned some things and generally felt very welcomed.

The man recomended a set of Dean Markley Bass Flatwounds, Medium Light (50-100) model 2644. the packaged was labled $49.99. but since i mentioned it was a first time i ventured in and lived in the neighborhood he gave them to me for $38! and said to, "make yourself at home, have fun play around". so i took that liberty and walked around this fun shop and played some nice bass's and a few accoustic geeetars for about 30minutes, no one 'bothered' me nobody aksed 'if i needed assistance'

i felt very at home! and relaxed, there was 1 other customer in the shop during this whole period.. i felt very welcomed. and i played some nice basses... specifically my fav was a Carlos Rabelli (i think that was the name) 6 string. the strings were a little to close... but it was fun to play...

after twiddling around for a while i made the 3minute walk home and rushed to put on my FIRST set of flatwound strings! welll wow am i suprised, he said i would love them and! i do they are sooooo smooth and sound so good! i think im hooked! i dont ever think ill get a roundwound again! they sound great playing anything ive thrown at them so far, fingerstyle and slap/pop... havnt tried a pick yet (but why would i want to anyways? :p ) i am very pleased...

now after my rambling to my 3 questions...
    1. anyone else use these strings? (Dean Markey flatwound 4string 2644 ML) can give opinions of them or experiences with them

2. is 38$ a good price for these strings?

3. (not string related) anyone else in the chicago area know of, or that has visited Perrys Music Center in villa park willing to share anything?

sorry this isnt 100% string related but i felt this belonged here more then Misc because it was my journey to get strings =)

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I live in Chicago and Im familar with Perry's music.a small store that has been around for a while.but one thing,you payed to much for a 4 string set of D.Markley flats.don't take my word for it just call around.