1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

We're 50/50 on this Album Art Design - Id love your Input

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MatticusMania, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Brain tree growing from vase splitting face seed

18 vote(s)
    47.4%
  2. Phallic wine bottle pouring face into glass

20 vote(s)
    52.6%
  1. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    So, our band's artist came by last night with some art designs for our upcoming 5 track EP. We narrowed it down to these 2 designs, but the band is split on which one to use as the front cover. We actually all like both pieces, and might possibly use the other one as art for the back of the album.
    Though, since we cant decide, we thought we'd ask on here and get some opinions.

The album is going to be called 'Stellar Womb' and whichever artwork is chosen we plan to flesh out with some imagery that ties our band, the album name, and other thematic elements together.

So which would you choose between the two?

[​IMG]

2. G00D+~VIBES

G00D+~VIBES

Nov 21, 2008
    Kansas City
    From where I'm sitting the wine bottle/tree image ties into the "cosmic womb" concept more directly

3. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Honestly, I think they're both too tame for your band.

I think you should push the boundary more.

4. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Something about "alcohol" and "womb" just don't mix... I'd go with the image on the left. The imagery of the roots and plant growing is a metaphor for "womb", which implies birth, life, growth and such.

5. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    The wine bottle and tree are seperate images, I think, though, that you meant the Vase/Tree.
    The "Stellar Womb" idea does fit into the Tree/Vase design in a more literal way, though we have come up with imagery and symbolism that really ties either design into the title.

Tame isnt always bad. Keep in mind its a)Our first album b)its only an EP and c)These are very "rough", as in they are just first steps in completing the artwork. We've already discussed a few more elements that would fill in space, provide more imagery/symbolism and everyone in tha band seems to like both designs.

6. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Well, here on TB, you will always get a lot of "voices of reason." I think I owe it to you to be one "voice of madness."

I think madness fits you guys.

7. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Oh, and I voted for the pouring face into glass. Make that one more edgy, and you've got your winner.

8. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I like bottle pouring face best..

9. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I actually value your opinion, and you nailed it with your voice of madness. I agree, madness does fit us.

Thats my personal favorite. Either design is going to be made more edgy, as these are the roughs we're using to decide on which direction to go in. 2 of us favor one design, the other 2 favor the other. The problem, our band leader is stuck in the middle.

10. makkE

makkE

Jan 19, 2010
    Normandie, France
    Argh I didn't scroll down and voted for the tree.
    The wine sketch looks much better though.
    Sorry.

So make this 4:6 ..

11. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Slap some lungs on the tree roots and a fish swimming in the vase , presto! {cough} circle of life ;)

12. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    Are you gung ho on your bands artist? I've got a couple of graphic designers that absolutely kill, pm me if your interested.

13. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Thanks for offering, but yeah, we've definitely decided on the artist.
    FTR, the rough design with the vase/tree was done by our bandleader, and not the artist who will be doing the final draft.

14. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    Ok, cool. I feel much better! I would use them both. A front and back.

15. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    :D Someone is thinking!

The same thought occured to me this morning, around the time I posted the thread. I dont think its too bad an idea, really, and both pieces could be used to illustrate the theme.

16. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    [Former full time professional, now hobbyist graphic designer and life-long artist-of-sorts here, if that matters.]

Straight-up choosing the better image, I choose the right (pouring face). The left design is lame IMO, it really doesn't do anything for me whatsoever, the "face-seed" does not come across without explanation and looks amateurish, and the design overall is vague and unclear and not aesthetically appealing... it's just a little bit ugly for me. In my day, that would've flamed out as an example of a mental concept that when put to paper... just don't work. Hey, they happen.

On the other hand, the "pouring face" design is instantly engaging, interesting, clever, pleasing to look at and clear-cut. It's brilliant just as it is (although I'd delete the glass in the background).

So IMO you really only have one good design. That, however doesn't solve your problem since I can't see how you're ever going to stretch it enough to jive with the album title...

Good luck, and let us know what shakes out!

17. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    May I suggest the wineglass image in the foreground with the tree image behind it?

18. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Thanks for the input Chris. It actually jives real well with the title if you dont take either or literally. There is a lot of symbolism in it, especially once it laid on the background that we discussed. That symbolism can be applied to either design in very different ways.

As to the design that you dont like, the concept, when done by the artist, would look much better than the rough designed by our bandleader. Keep in mind, both pictures are very basic ideas that have not yet been fully fleshed out on paper.

19. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Wine bottle pouring face. For its simplicity. Too much stuff going on with the other image. Although its fun "getting into" those types of images when you're stoned.

20. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    I like both very much, and I think if your artist is worth anything at all you should get a good album cover out of either. I think that the vase one is a little more in line with what I expect from an album cover, so it might throw people off less than the other. On the other hand, since the bottle one is a little more unusual and could throw people off when they look at it, it might help the EP stick in people's minds. So, I suggest the wine bottle one for that reason.