1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

We're all HOKIES Today...!!!

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by LightGroove, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Friends...many of you may not be familiar with Blacksburg,VA home of Rocket Music.....a beautiful town in the middle of the hills. Also the spot of one of the worst tragedies in US history.

Today marks the 3rd anniversary....

A link to the faces:

I ask that you take time in your own way to pause for those still grieving and remembering among the great conversation in this forum.

2. rob4001va

rob4001va

Apr 1, 2007
    Northern VA
    +1
    I attended there undergrad and grad
    Had some great times playing music there.
    Am still connected through my career.

But on this day, marked and remembered like other great tragedies, I remember the 32.

Two of which attended HS where my kids went.
    Another of which was the first boyfriend of one of my nieces.

On this day, every year, we truly are ALL Hokies....
    AllforVT.

Hokies.

2 of the 32....
    VTribbonRIP.

The memorial to the 32 on the campus.
    VTMemorial__0138.

7 months afterwards, on 11-17-2007, a very large group of students, alumni, and friends, gathered on Tech's central "drillfield" to spell out a message of thanks to everyone who supported the Tech community during this time of sorrow. I'm in there, if you look really hard (lower right corner of the "T", along with my younger son.
    HTTWa_MG_01.

Thanks to all of you "Hokies" around the world for caring.

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I just read up on it, truly dreadful, my heart goes out to their familys... :(

4. I grew up in Blacksburg and it is truely a special place with special people.

5. Indeed a special place...I bel. I was headed to a FB game the day of the aerial shot...a good friend is an alumni and in the pic somewhere...he would have been in the building that day but decided to change majors....may have saved his life...a sad day indeed.

6. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    Prayers and Blessings to all.

:crying:

God Bless, Ray

7. A sad day, totally shocked me to the core.

RIP those that left us that day.

8. Remember those lost and give love & comfort to those families who've lost what can never be recovered. My heart goes out to them all..

9. Allen_VA

Allen_VA

Sep 17, 2008
    Hokietown, VA
    I've lived here for nearly 18 years now and it's not possible to express the pain I and so many others felt when we learned of this. One of the victims was the little brother of my intern student at the company I work at in Radford (about 10 miles from VT). Another victim, a professor, was someone who frequented the VT library Inter-Library Loan department where my wife works. I suspect just about everyone in this area knew one of the victims or knows a friend/family member of one - it's a pretty tight community down here in a lot of ways. Sometimes I still have a hard time believing something of this magnitude happened in my town, at my alma mater.

Thanks Lightgroove for bringing the TB community's attention to this.

10. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Yep, that was a horrible day in a very bad run of bad days for Blacksburg over the past 5-6 years. Like most folks around here, I know a couple of folks who were in one of the rooms, and they both fortunately survived. One guy was shot in the leg, the other was physically unharmed. I can't imagine the terror they felt, nor can I imagine the grief of the friends and families of those who didn't survive.

There was also no shortage of courage and heroism both inside and outside of those classrooms. The professor who barred the door and died in the process, the police officers and tech officials who responded and ran towards the danger rather than away from it, and I'm sure there were many other examples... it's hard to look for bright spots in a tragic situation like that, but I definitely give thanks that there are people in the world who are capable and willing to step up when things like that go down.