1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

We're Boostin'

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SplinteredSkull, Oct 31, 2013.

1. TC Mini Spark

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. Xotic EP Boost

14 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. MXR Micro Amp

22 vote(s)
    45.8%
  4. Lizard Leg Effects Blue Tail

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. I'm looking to complete my pedalboard wishlist with a boost pedal, and I have seen a few recurring ones that I am interested in. Sadly, I haven't gotten to play with any of these yet but I'd like to see which one may be the all around "best" and if I can get some feedback on them. I'm just looking for a simple, clean boost that can add some volume and girth to my tone when I need it without coloring my sound.

1. TC Mini Spark
    2. MXR Micro Amp
    3. Xotic EP Boost
    4. Lizard Leg Effects Blue Tail

The MXR is the cheapest of the options and I guess would get the job done; the TC and Xotic seem to be more "interactive"? with your tone without necessarily coloring it much, and the Xotic is tweakable to get a different sound; finally, i don't know much about the Blue Tail but I heard it's a good boost and retains the low end well since it was designed specifically for bass

2. That's pretty much what my list consists of. But I'm also looking at the Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso and the Pedal Projects Owly, not to complicate things for you...

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, the EP is a great booster for bass. IMO, it just adds a special 'something' and 'size' to you existing tone.

4. Have you been able to try the other pedals as well? Able to offer a comparison? I haven't been able to use it myself like I said, but in many demos and reviews it is said that it adds a sort of overall "size" or "ummph" to the tone - just a fuller richer sound

5. PhatRon

PhatRon I blow bass

Feb 29, 2012
    Lake Stevens, Wa.
    for what you are describing hands down it's the blue tail. no coloring, one knob. it's clean clean clean just more (or less) of what's already there. The range is really smooth. slight tweaks of the knob actually make slight changes you can actually hear. I guess the term would be responsive. It's well built too, feels solid.

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    I used to have a couple of micro amps, and IMO, they were good, but didn't really add anything and felt a little 'sterile' to me. and sorry, but I haven't tried the other two.

7. I think that's how I would best describe it when listening to how it affected the sound in the demos; which is why hesitant on that one.

8. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I highly recommend the Palmetto Boost by Blackeye Effects. With the gain knob low, it can do a completely clean and clear boost with no coloration and plenty of volume. Add in a bit more gain and it gives a little extra fatness and a tough of extra high end. Cranking the gain higher adds a little extra high-end sweetness and presence and enough gain to run your tone a little dirty or really push a tube amp or other distortion pedal.

9. Have been able to play the others as well?

10. PhatRon

PhatRon I blow bass

Feb 29, 2012
    Lake Stevens, Wa.
    I've tried the micro amp. I too felt it to be a bit sterile. Worked well as a head phone amp; I liked the Xotic bass RC booster quite a bit. It added some low gain snarl with gain knob pushed. It's fairly clean. adds what i'd call a "shine" to the overall or maybe a "roundness" is a better term. I actually liked it more as an always on effect. I ended up with the blue tail 'cause I wanted transparent clean boost.
    I still have the RC. PM me if you might be interested in a trial. Maybe we could work out a GC type deal.

11. PhatRon

PhatRon I blow bass

Feb 29, 2012
    Lake Stevens, Wa.
    in your original post you said "no coloring". The EP booster is designed to add a very specific color. It's based on the original echo plex. Make sure you know what your looking for before deciding. Pedals are like the big box of crayolas as you are well aware of I'm sure.

12. I voted MXR, but have only tried that one and the xotic EP booster. I think some people will prefer the uncleaness of the EP booster, it sounds pretty darned good for the right kind of thing. I mean I don't think it's any Phat Phuk or anything, but it has a nice color.

I have not tried the other two, although there has been much praise for the TC Electronic booster here on TB. I wouldn't count it out.

The most transparent booster I ever tried was the zvex super hard on, but it's just too expensive. The MXR comes real close to it's transparency, at least at the lower settings I use it at.

13. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I haven't tried the EP Booster on bass, but my friend has one and it sounds great on guitar

14. PhatRon

PhatRon I blow bass

Feb 29, 2012
    Lake Stevens, Wa.
    If you want to spend a little bit the Empress para eq is a awesome tool. very sweet, responsive eq that has a clean boost on board as well. This pedal works wonderfully on my board. I'm a huge fan of "cut" the ugly out first then turn up.

15. I was really floored by how it sounds at 18 V instead of 9. Have your friend check that out, really improves the headroom and opens it up. At 9 V I felt like I would sometimes get too much nasal breakup when I really dug in on the strings. Not so at 18 V, it holds stout.

16. jrusidoff

jrusidoff

May 31, 2013
    My EP booster stays on all the time with both my guitar and bass rig.

17. Hmm.. So I might be counting out the MXR from my list. And if the Xotic EP does have coloration, it's something I'd have to try out in person to see if I liked. And I'd also like to keep it at or below $200 if you'd like to suggest something else.