1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

We're building some basses, here.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JLS, Mar 9, 2013.

1. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    "Cooked" wood,
    (light weight, resonant, stable), necks /bridges attached w/machine screws & threaded inserts, custom Tonestylers, all passive...

necksbodies_zpsf00dac1a. <P> necks_zps7e6bcea8. <P> heads_zps546e00ce.

2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    what's the name of the shop?

3. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    Bridge Guitar; my shop is Bridge Guitarworks. There are three of us--so far--involved in the building, in two Kensington & Sonoma, and Albq, NM. The NM shop will be building Tonestylered. etc., guitars, all basses will be here in CA.

This is the first completed prototype, body is cooked butternut, neck is cooked maple, the bass is shockingly light! The Tele-type switch is wired neck,both parallel, both series, bridge. The pickups on this one are Fralin 5% overwounds; the combination of pickups, neck & bridgemount, & our custom Tonestyler, make for vast tonal possibilities.

We're happy campers, so far...

Attached Files:

4. Clydesauce

Clydesauce

May 12, 2012
    I would buy them all. I dislike the look of typical Fender style bodies, but those are beautiful.

5. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    The 3rd body, and the neck w/the inserts installed, are the FrankenFive I'm playing in the photo.

6. That wood looks great !

Is it an option to route for the pots from the back and have no pickguard ? I think that would look great with such nice wood for the bodies.

Another cool option would be to have a pickguard made from a thin layer of a different beautiful wood.

These options would make for a bass with a combination of my two favorite styles : very nice wood and the Precision body. This is why my basses are Alembics and Fenders. :)