were can i get a finger board

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by warwickben, Dec 14, 2002.

1. were can i get a finger board cheap.
  2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Try Bob Golihur.

3. i know about him. i was trying to get the best deal.
  4. jugband

Jan 16, 2001
    You can buy fingerboards & necks directly from Engelhardt. Send an email to Cal Reeves <concert@Engelhardt-Link.com> and ask about prices. He quoted me $252 + shipping for a neck with fingerboard already attached to it a couple of months ago. There are different grades of ebony, though, and I have no idea what grade that was for.

The prices listed on their website are not accurate.
    You might also want to consider a Moses Graphite fingerboard, from www.gollihur.com. They are probably are going to last more decades without grooves than any other kind. They run somewhere between $250 and $300, about the same as a good ebony board.
  5. Try being polite.???? did i miss something. all i need is a finger board.i plan to make my self a upright. the two place that has been posted i check all ready. iam trying to get the best deal.
  6. OK - if you want a cheap fingerboard, here's one that will fill the bill. I have a new (very old stock) Kay maple fingerboard that I'll sell you for $25.00 + shipping.
  7. kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    With ebony, how are fingerboards graded? I've heard of 1-a quality. I've seen ebony that is not black but dark grey w/ reddish tones, almost looks like rosewood, but was described as very good quality ebony due to straight grain. It's probably a combo of the above and more, I suppose, but how do you prioritize, or how does wholesaler choose how to price (within present supply/demand dynamics)?
  8. jugband

Jan 16, 2001
    He IS the best deal.

Bob Gollihur and Engelhardt directly are the best prices on Engelhardt, and Engelhardt necks & fingerboards are the best deal around, if you want to spend as few $$$ as possible without getting into junk.

It sounds like you need to run, not walk, to Bob Branstetter and grab that maple board he's offering you.
  9. The grading of ebony fingerboards has become something of a joke. When I was doing my apprenticeship in the 1960's, there were distinct grades of ebony fingerboards available from the supplier/wholesaler. I believe they were AAA, AA, A, B, and C quality. The top quality available today would probably be about the same as what was the A or B quality forty years ago. Ebony is an endanged species and pure black ebony is just about impossible to find. The boards today may appear to be all black, but that is because they are dyed black in the manufacturing process. Not too long ago, I received an email from a manufacturer of ebony accessories in India. This manufacturer claimed the fingerboards were "first quality". I asked some of my luthier friends if they knew anything about this manufacturer. Jeff Bollbach was one who had ordered a board from this company. He told me that it was far from being the first class straight grain ebony we are looking for. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this Jeff).

To make a long story short, most luthiers have found their fingerboard suppliers by trial and error. Once we find someone who sells a superior product, we tend to stay with them based on their reputation rather than on a particular wood grading system in a catalog.
  10. I have a slightly used ebony fingerboard that I'll sell you for $50 plus shipping.
  11. jugband

Jan 16, 2001
    I visited www.ontheflipside.org.

What IS that thing you're playing in the picture! :confused:
  12. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Any of you lutheirian yahoos ever deal or use the "alternative" fingerboards from the Smartwood company? They are based in Colorado somewhere, and sell non-endangered hardwood for instruments. I hear ebony is not growing nearly as fast as we are using it.

To add to the original question: International Violin Company has clean, affordable ebony. Try them...
  13. Bob Branstetter i pm you 2 times. please get back to me. same thing with paulunger
  14. Sorry about that. I've been a little lax at looking for PM lately. I have replied PM now.