Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

We're Dyin Like Drummers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by WAKOJACO, Mar 10, 2003.

1. WAKOJACO

WAKOJACO Guest

Jul 5, 2000
    Binghamton, NY
    This is getting serious folks. In the past decade, we the bass players have replaced drummers and become the dying breed in music. Now Epstein from TP&HB. Add to:
    Bobby Sheehan
    Ray Brown
    John E.
    Whatshisface Ramone
    Allen Woody
    I know there's more too.
    Let's take care of ouselves and THINK.

2. Dee Dee

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I am taking care of my self

*Polly slugs another hit of pig fat*

UGHHHHH AGHHHH

*Grabs left arm*

this stuff tastes like ,,,,copper......

*passes out on keyboard*

a;suhfugsiafg;re;aerfh

4. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    :eek: I think you meant...DEE DEE :bawl:

5. Indeed a dying breed. Today I was at guitar center, and while going through musician wanted ads, of the 30-40 I saw, well over half of those were looking for bass players.

6. Bassists have always been in demand though. I know a bunch of people who are starting to play bass now. I'm sure at least a few of them will continue on and make it a serious instrument.

Of course, a golden age is coming to an end. But I feel confident that a new era will be dawning soon.

We just gotta hold down the bottom as usual.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Woohoo! I got cable on Friday and was able to watch the Simpsons for the first time in years last night! Ah, the good life!

8. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Hmmm..wish I had that problem around here.:meh:

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well think of it this way:

there are tons of good guitar players around here with no gigs...

but there isn't a single remotely decent bassist around that isn't gigging that wants to.

10. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I wonder how many of those bassists are gigging with projects they don't really like, just to be playing at all (raises hand). :bawl:

Sorry for the venting. Jason comments on the scene in his town, and I gripe about the scene in mine - what's up with that? He's right though, IME: I don't have any trouble finding projects, but they're all the SOS... :(

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I'm eating homemade chocalate chip cookies and milk. Pizza, and coca-cola.

Life is good.