1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WE'RE GETTING REPLACED

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Dojix, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Dojix

Dojix

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    We need to stop these crazy guitarists before we get replaced!

2. Somehow, I'm not worried. :)

pacojas, Jay_Dub, SamJ and 16 others like this.
  3. gabrielvv7

gabrielvv7

Mar 10, 2013
    Louisiana
    sounds okay at a few points... but, IMO, there is no guitar that can sound like a bass slapped. the string gauges, eq, and pickup differences would make it difficult. there might be a thing, and there is, for guitarists to "slap" guitars, but it's just not the same. basses take the trophy on sound. this kind of thing (slap guitar) is not really new, and there is reason why it hasn't caught on... once again, because bass just does it better, sounds better.

4. Dojix

Dojix

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    You make a good point, and I've noticed even the Djent sound usually carves out a tonne of low end space and boosts mids, leaving lots of room for bass. Protest The Hero is a good example.
    The whole is kinda different, I know, I just wanted to share something cool. ;)

gebass6 and gabrielvv7 like this.
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Victor Wooten's older brother has actually been slapping on guitar for decades now. Doesn't sound like a bass, but it's still pretty cool.

6. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Sounds even worse than when a bassist does it.

Thuddy Waters, interp, Gabbs and 18 others like this.
  7. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    I believe that it's the other way around!Guitar players are going to be replaced!

Just ask N/S Stick player Don Schiff.
    Plus the fact that that technique sound much better on a bass.
    Maybe at some point in the near future bassists and guitarists will both be playing the same instrument.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Reggie, a guitar player, actually taught Victor to double-thumb, didn't he?

willbassyeah likes this.
  9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I think I remember them saying that, although it's been years since I watched one of my Vic DVDs. I think Victor attributes almost everything he's learned on the bass to Reggie.

10. gebass6

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    I have that DVD.I think that many,including myself,came to conclusion that Reggies sound wasn't very good.A whole lot of clicking sounds at 2:00.
    I still get that same old feeling when I hear Chick's opening chords to "Vulcan Worlds":hyper::D

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    hintz likes this.
  11. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I remember someone on here getting mad at me years ago because I said he might've sounded better or at least more clear if he used a better guitar than the Squier he was using as if I was being elitist :D

pacojas likes this.
  12. gebass6

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Hmm.Since I'm not a guitar player,I wouldn't know why or what he's doing wrong and how to correct it.
    All I know is that something isn't right.

13. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    No need to worry. Unless these guitarists become proficient enough to do it on a real bass.

Edit: Just realized that is Rob Scallon. And he CAN play the bass. And damn good too!

JTSmitty likes this.
  14. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    There's no chance of him replacing my bass lines......... I don't slap.;)

odineye and Moosehead1966 like this.
  15. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    Mannn.. Reggie and Vic are monsters. Beautiful monsters.

pacojas likes this.
  16. this is way too over the top.....

pacojas likes this.
  17. Tim Reynolds has also been slapping the crap out of the guitar for decades. He's also a monster bassist, he may have transferred the slap chops over from bass.

18. Harps...thats what we play. Amplified Harps that come with/in a great array of string numbers, sizes, and amplification systems be it magnets or hollow boxes. Pianos (acoustic) are just boxed harps played on their side with hammers. I like to play 4-5 string harps tuned low, you might like 6-7 string harps tuned high. Some other Man or Woman likes 25.25 strings played upside down, backwards and underwater.
    We ain gon git replaced. There isnt any competitition goin on.
    Just play so low that no one can get under you and MAINTAIN.

19. bassrich

bassrich

Nov 20, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    Lacks OOMPH,

20. I really love the things Rob Scallon does with his extended range guitars. But we're not getting replaced. Keep in mind that Mr. Scallon also plays bass.
    Now, as for slapping on guitar... I think Tosin Abasi does it best (not great audio but...) :

He also has a tutorial on how he does his slapping.
    Glad to say he mentioned Victor Wooten in the video :)