1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Were should you slap with my thumb.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by moondoggy900, Nov 9, 2006.

1. moondoggy900

moondoggy900 Inactive

Nov 6, 2006
    I just wanted to make sure I was right on this although, I'm sure this is more then one way to do it. I slap with my thumb vertical to the string, just more comfortable for me. But for that certain technique I slap at the joint of my thumb, or lower closer to my hand is that correct way to slap or no?

2. moro

moro Geek

Sep 5, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm not sure I'm doing *any* slapping with your thumb.

3. moro

moro Geek

Sep 5, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    But seriously, you're making contact with the string between the base of your thumb and the first joint?

4. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    My sentiments exactly. Wouldn't you get angry if I tried to use your thumb to slap anything? I mean I'd have to find you and cut it off before I could slap anything with it.

Other than that, I don't know about any "correct" way to slap.
    Haven't gotten that far in my study yet.

5. moondoggy900

moondoggy900 Inactive

Nov 6, 2006
    *Smacks oneself for stupid title* OK Yea joint and the bass of my thumb is were I slap

6. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Mostly I slap and pop right where the neck meets the body. Requires less force than if you were to do it farther down to the bridge, but the sound can sometimes be "too" clacky, depends on your taste. I have a J/P so popping for me has to be done near the neck anyways, above my P pup, so I find it convenient to just slap with my thumb there too.

You can always try watching some good slap training vids, I know that if you were to type in "bass slap" in Youtube you might find a Flea/Wooten lesson video

And now that I've reread your title, I think you mean "on" your thumb (damn) I hit with the joint that bends if you were to make a thumbs-up symbol. Gotta be careful though, because the tip of your thumb sometimes whacks the other string too.

7. My preference is to use the tip of my thumb. I get the most leverage that way, and I also get a better tone.

8. Enden

Enden

May 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    I use my joint. I play pretty close to the neck, it makes the popping less strenuous.

9. Gegatso

Gegatso

Jan 16, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Right on the joint, right around the 24th fret.

Mark

10. moondoggy900

moondoggy900 Inactive

Nov 6, 2006
    Ok sounds like Im kinda right on the money with my slap. I forget who said the tip of the thumb, but that sounds way to clanky for me, and I can never get a good clean ring out tone when I play there sometimes, I will switch from the tip once I get goin, but I alway make my initial stike with my joint or a tad lower. Plus I have to make up for using a 15 watt amp....Im poor :crying:. So I dont get great tone and alot of times when I slap on any note on the E string instead of getting a warm tone, I get a metallic, heavy metallish tone....EQing isnt great on my amp anyway, but yea I was wondering were people slap with their thumb....NOT MY THUMB

11. moro

moro Geek

Sep 5, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Someone posted this in another thread:

http://www.cyberschoolofbass.com/lesson6/

That's how I've been trying to do it. (I'm just learning to slap.) At the edge of the fretboard, using the fleshy part of my thumb around the first joint.

12. Gone

Gone

Mar 21, 2006
    Cape Town
    Jayda custom basses, builder
    Maybe I'm miss understanding but...
    IMO the higher up your thump the better. The lower down on your thump the more movement required to get a good thump. If you're striking with the tip of your thump then you can get a good thump with very little movement (making it easier to play faster, if neccessary).

I play by striking the string with my thump parallel to the string and 'playing through the string' with the tip of my thump. As such your thump does not need to rebound in order to let the string ring and your thump is bellow the string if you wish to double slap.

13. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    Right on the joint, on the bone, on the left side of my right hand thumb, and I slap the between the second last and last fret.

14. Clean tone? Then what are you slapping for? :p I use the tip for maximum rattle and clank. :D

15. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

The "audio clips" are just MIDIs. How cheap.:scowl: