1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

were to buy wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BassBiggieD, Dec 24, 2006.

1. BassBiggieD

BassBiggieD

Dec 19, 2006
    i am planning on building a custom neck-thru bass.. two actually a 4 string fretted and a fretless

:help:

just wondering were to buy good quality wood, do you try to find it local or is there a online store that is good

thanks,

D

2. BassBiggieD

BassBiggieD

Dec 19, 2006
    thank you!

also, i have basic electric tools, am i getting way over my head with this project?

how hard is a frettless bass to build?

3. I'm not exactly sure what you've got based on "basic electric tools", but you can probably do it. I'd suggest doing a little research first, a great book that lots of people can vouch for is Melvyn Hiscock's "Make Your Own Electric Guitar".

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Own-Electric-Guitar/dp/0953104907

I built my first guitar with that book and some VERY basic tools. You can definitely do it if you set your mind to it :)

4. BassBiggieD

BassBiggieD

Dec 19, 2006
    thank you, i will be ordering that book quite soon..

sorry to be real unclear about the tools i have, basic, like a drill, some saws, i dont have a router or anything like that, just the everyday tools

thanks for the help!

5. Well from my very limited experience, a router is pretty much the most useful tool when it comes to building electrics. You use it to route pickup cavities, control cavities, neck pockets... the list goes on. I would definitely invest in a router if you really want to do it.

Oh and one more thing, I just got some wood for Christmas and I can vouch for LMI as being a good source for wood... my redwood burl top is SICK! Along with my Granadillo back and sides set :)

www.lmii.com

They have lots of tools and stuff too!

6. BassBiggieD

BassBiggieD

Dec 19, 2006
    ^^ thanks for the suggestion, but i think im going to plan and do a bit more research before buying the wood.

probly wont get this started till summer time, but i want to take my time on it