Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

were to find custom milled wood?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by iplay4-5, Sep 9, 2005.

1. iplay4-5

iplay4-5 Guest

Feb 4, 2004
    rockford, IL
    hey guys im on the journey of building my own 6-string but i need to find some were to buy wood lol i've looked for like an hour n nothing comes up lol so please just give me some sites were i can buy either or premilled or custom milled woods such as wenge, flame maple, ebony in lengths up to 60'' long by 2'' thik thanxz alot guys peace n love from
    xthe mexicanx

2. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    hey, you can always try gallery hardwoods they're the friendly neighborhood TB contributing wood supplier, and larry is a great guy to work with.

you might also try luthier links at the 13th fret site, just scroll down to "suppliers" and they'll have some links...

but if you're like me and would rather go somewhere locally, just look for hardwood lumber stores in your area, and you might find something.

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    +10 on Gallery Hardwoods, but don't go by the web site. Larry has got just about everything under the sun, and from everything I've seen and heard from and about him he is one of the nicest and most helpfull people you will work with. Check out some of the stuff going on in his sponsored forum:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=118

and give him a call or e-mail.

4. gallery hardwoods +1
    the customerservice is amazing i'm considering to buy all woods for my 6 stringer from there, cus the wood suppliers here in sweden seems to have forgotten there are such a thing as costomersevice..

5. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Another vote for the Gallery. Larry is an awesome guy, and I'm sure he will be able to help you out.

6. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    yup, when I first checked out his website I thought it left much to be desired and I was rather disappointed...but use their secure e-mail feature on the site and ask for exactally what you want, and I'm pretty sure he'll have it or at least be able to get it.

And LajoieT is right about Larry, he's a real nice fellow. and he'll ship worldwide.