1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Were "Whizzers" Ever Used On Bass Speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SurferJoe46, May 6, 2010.

1. Was there any manufacturer that used whizzers on the bass speaker cones?

whizzer.

Were they- or would they- be a bad idea?

Could they be used to help fill a certain frequency in a very large cone?

Just asking.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Depends on your definition of "new"... the EA ones came out like six years ago or so.

3. duderasta

duderasta

Feb 25, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Whizzers are no substitute for good mid-range or HF drivers....

4. Grooveman1961

Grooveman1961

May 8, 2006
    The answer is yes. There is a company called Euphonic Audio, i think, they have a model called the "Whizzy". Guess what kind of speaker it has.

5. Grooveman1961

Grooveman1961

May 8, 2006
    Oops...the rooster avatar person already has a link...

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    E-V had one decades ago. It was meant primarily for general purpose PA usage (think voice reinforcement in school gyms etc), but I gigged with one for bass and synth quite happily for many years.

[​IMG]

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
  8. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Not sure why but there's not a neo one with adequate low end readily available. A 3012HO with whizzer would be an enormous hit. Enormous. Well, at least for me ;)

9. I've heard that bass amps and PAs are all about the same freqs or 'sound zones' (WTH that is!) and were very user-interchangeable - if they were rated correctly at least.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    well there ya go ;)

a lot of bass players over the years have used actual pa systems for their bass rigs. in today's day and age it's a bit of overkill unless you're on massive stages and you want to blast, so the 2 and 3-way bass cabs have taken their place for the most part. still, you will find some bass players using a sub and a top. not a good idea to use most commercial 3-way pa cabs without a sub, though, as they're not rated for the low end.