Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Were you ever in competition?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by russ_4ft, Jan 10, 2002.

1. I got this dude who thinks we're in competition with each other, i'm not because im happy with my bass playing and im not bothered if he's better than me.
    Most people say im better but at the end of the day its nice to hear that but i'm not bothered.

Errrr, i'm just gonna say 'bothered again' so that it's a massacre of the word 'bothered' :D

- Russ

2. When I was in high school (waaaaay back in the year 2000!), I was sorta in competition with this one guy.

He played in the school jazz band. I wasn't able to play bass cos I was playing Tenor Saxophone in the same band. He always seemed to show people how good he was by playing (trying to) "Higher Ground" and the first 5 or so seconds of "Classical Thump".

I wasn't trying to puthim to shame, but whenever he tried to play something, I would always show him how to do it properly. I know that it makes me look like a bit of an @sshole, but I cant stand people that think they are better than they really are. There is no shame in being not as good as someone else. Not everyone can be a Clarke or a Franklin or a Wooten or a .......

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    To heck with everyone else. Your only real competition is yourself and the limits you set for yourself...

That said, if other people are being a pain in the rear end to you with all this competition junk, it serves them right, because they will be the ones who look stupid in the end.
    :p

4. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Competition can give you drive, but nothing says you are the man like practice and a good basic knowledge in theory. Play within your own abilities and progress at your own pace, not to equal the ability you see in others.

I think you are on the right track.

Mike

5. It only makes you an @sshole if you stood up and made a scene. If you took him aside drawing little or no attention to it, thats okay

sim