Were you in the "school band"?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DirtDog, May 18, 2003.

1. yes

43 vote(s)
  2. no

9 vote(s)
  3. my parents forced me to work on the family carrot farm - I had no time for bands.

2 vote(s)
  1. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    As the post says...a "school band" being the organized variety at grade school, high school, post-secondary, etc. with teacher supervision -with those cool uniforms and ubiquitous "band trips".

Myself, I never played in the school band, but played in bands at school. During my grade school and high school years (and beyond), I studied and played the scottish snare drum in police and army (bag)pipe bands. While my brethren were going on band exchange trips with parent/teacher supervision, I was doing road trips with cops and soldiers in the pipe bands - needless to say, my morality was corrupted at an early age.

2. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Whats the joke hereon talkbass with the carrots?
  3. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I'll bet lots of us are ex-band nerds. If you discover music at an early age and can't afford private lessons then it's the only game in town.

I played trumpet in 6th grade,Baritone horn in 7th-9th, Then was moved to tuba till graduation. It's all a plot, you see. If you are a big guy and play brass the director just thinks "Tuba." I took up bass in 9th grade. In 10th grade the school brought back the Jazz Band program and I played bass in the jazz band till I graduated.
  4. Suburban_punk

May 13, 2003

Played the French Horn.
  5. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Do you mean the Freedom Horn?
  6. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine

heh, hmm....no, I don't play in any school band, never did, and don't think I ever will.
  7. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    Played trumpet from 2nd grade till graduation, then a couple years more. Never played in any groups in college...been playing bass for a year in college now, but not with any school-related groups
  8. School Band: No
    School Orchestra: Yes
  9. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I didn't play any instruments until after high school.
  10. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i played drums in the marching band (bass drum for a couple years and then snare for a couple years)...and did a little corps stuff over the summers.
  11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Concert Bass Drum in concert band the 2nd semester this year

Next year i will play either marimba's or tempani in marching band
  12. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I play upright bass, and bass guitar in jazz band. I also play bass guitar in marching band
  13. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I played trumpet in concert band until my sophmore year. (and hated it) I was also in the summer marching band for one year. (and hated that even more)

My senior year is when they first tried out a Jazz Band at my school and I was recruited to play bass. (That I enjoyed very much :) )
  14. Suburban_punk

May 13, 2003
    Freedom horn.. Ya know its renowned as the most beautiful brass.
    Thats is until I was playing it. ;)

I wanted to play Sax and then trumpet, but both were two expensive. (remenber school renting prices)

4 grade was grand. ;)
  15. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I was in it until last week. I basically just stopped showing up. I stopped going to class at the beginning of the semester but I still played in all of the concerts. This is an arrangement that many of the members of the band have due to the huge amounts of work required at my school. I wasn't getting a grade for it so I was having trouble taking it seriously, and on top of that the other bass player lost all of my music, leaving me with nothing to play at the concert. The band has really gone downhill and no one in it takes it seriously anymore, so I just left.

Sorry for the rant.
  16. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    I played clarinet in my jr. high years (7th-8th grade). At first I did it because I wanted to get out of physical ed in 7th grade, but then I stuck with it in 8th grade. By the time I reached high school I realized I didn't want to be part of the school band scene, just too much work and wasn't my thing. I only learned treble clef in school band, would have been more helpful if I was taught bass clef.

P.S. I hate all the kids in high school band, they act all snooty and sometimes (most of the time actually) geeky. They're their own little community of band geeks and it annoys me.

:bassist: Screw band, I've got my bass!
  17. Yep, Played in the Marching band for 2 years, the Percussion Ensemble for 1 year and The String band for 2 years. Electric bass and double bass in all of them.

P.S- oh yea also played trumpet from 4th grade to 9th grade.
  18. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Played cello in orchestra 6-8th grade, Bass Guitar in Jazz Band in 8th Grade, Bass Guitar & Double Bass in #1 Jazz Band, Marching Band, Show [pep] Band, #1 Show Choir Band [First Edition], Symphonic band, and Swing Band [#2 jazz band], every year thus far so 9-10 & i plan on doing all but Swing Band next year.

snip::They're their own little community of band geeks and it annoys me. :: paste::

Very true-we're very much like our own community since when you're around the same people for 10 out of 12months in a year you get close to them and i tend to liken it to like the other labels-band nerd, jock, etc. With the snooty-yeah-there's some like that too here. Some of the people think that they are God's Gift to the Department or they think that they're just better than everyone else but there's also those of us that enjoy it and don't really think we're better or worse then anyone else. So yeah-we have pretty much the same variety of people here too.
  19. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    I'm not disagreeing with you, outside of the band 'world' some people are cool, but others are just real annoying. I just despise people who live band 24/7.
  20. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I agree. I enjoy playing very much and everything except there's more to life than being in that room practicing and stuff. I'm generally a bit antisocial-i don't like being around large groups of people unless if i have to be. I tend to have a core group of friends then the rest are just the other peopl. So to take this back to the ontopic part-Been in school bands and have had solos at different levels of participation. My latest solo was during the Marching Band Show that went to state on Unsquare Dance. Thats all