Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wes Montgomery's "Four on Six", why is it named that?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The Frizzle Fry, Jun 26, 2005.

1. just curious why the song is called four on six, ive been looking at this for quite some time and cant figure it out

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    http://www.stevekhan.com/unit7a.htm

The above is a Link to Steve Khan's site...he mentions a tune by Sam Jones called "Unit 7" as a 'distant cousin to Wes' "Four On Six"...'.
    I don't recall "Unit 7"...do you guys? ;)

I'm tryin' to think of possibilties for "Four On Six"-
    Four guys(a 4-tet) playing in 6? Nah.
    Four choruses on a 6-string guitar? Maybe?

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's got a distinctive written bass line - that has four notes to the bar but isn't really a walking bass line - the first bar of the tune ('head') has six notes over the 4 of the bass riff...? Errr... don't know, really!! ;)

4. There's another famous tune, I think written previous to 4on6, called six on four.

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

C'mon guys, no hockey fans on this forum? :cool:
    It's obviously about a two man down power play. :ninja:

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Ding-Ding-Ding! That's it!!
    Damn, I'm an idiot!

...some hockey fan I am!
    :)

(Those are usually called "5 on 3" Power Plays).
    ;)

...and what's the big deal with Chicago's "25 Or 6 To 4"? "Does Anybody Really Know What Time it Is"? or what??

I always figured "Questions 67 & 68" were the two questions prior to asking for...oh, nevermind.
    :p

7. yeah, it's on Smokin at the Half Note...it precedes Four on Six. I think it's a blues...