1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

West LA Music

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by Trestles, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Trestles

Trestles

May 24, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hi Janek,

I inadvertently found myself at the West LA Music store last night. Found out they had a drum clinic at 7PM. Apparently the drummer had some huge bass player with him from NY (who had some crazy $8000 bass!). I didn't know what to expect but I figured I'd check it out. I was surprised to find out that it was you. I've been reading your message board for a while. Great show! I really enjoyed the performance and learned a bit too. It must be great being able to play with drummers who are so talented.

I spent some time trying to figure out some of those grooves. It seems like there is a lot of atonal movement. A groove based around D Ab Eb A seemed to find that rave vibe. Any insight on what you were playing last night?

Thanks!

Trestles

2. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://janeksbassstudio.com
    hey,

thanks for coming out to the show.

I really can't remember too much of what I played last night. I was in the most incredible pain with a bad tooth, and ended up having to have a root canal this morning. It was a real drag. But it was great to see Jojo and play a little We haven't been on the road together for about 9 months as we've been busy with a ton of separate projects, but we're heading to Russia in May with Nerve so it was good to connect in LA.

Jojo really covered so many of the influences for this kind of music when he was talking on the clinic, but a few others I might add that have helped me a lot would include:

Roni Size
    Adam Freeland
    LTJ bookem
    Photek
    Phantom force

there are some really cool basslines in there somewhere......

Glad you enjoyed the gig.

Easy,

Janek