Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

West Laboratories

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jaybo, Sep 24, 2002.

1. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    A friend of mine was telling me about an amp at the local shop. He said it was all tube w/ a 2x15 cab, didn't know how many watts, and it was a West Laboratories head and appeared to be quite old. I was looking for info on the net and couldn't really find anything, anyone know anything about these things?

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    They were custom amps, originally made famous by Mel Schacker of Grand Funk Railroad. They attempted to market to the public for a brief time, but failed to make any impact.

3. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    Any idea if they're valuable?

4. Pretty valuable, just because they're cool old tube amps. I've seen a West "Fillmore" amp that used (4) 6550's and some huge transformers. The owner wouldn't sell it.

If you can get the head for $200 or less, and the cab for $200 or less, I'd go for it. You'll probably have to put about $100 - $200 in parts to make it good as new, but it will be worth it if you're into the old sound like you hear on old Zep or Hendrix or any old rock stuff. If you're looking for MegaWatt plinkety-chink-chink crappy hollow modern bass sounds, don't get it. You'll hate it.

Chris

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Which West amp is it?