Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"West system" Jaco epoxy fingerboard job

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Mar 9, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    i am going to be doing this on a neck and I have to buy a Quart of the stuff $60+ :( If somebody else wants to try it possibly we could send it around and split up the cost a bit?

........t

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Why not try the System 3 Mirrorcoat? I think you can get that for ~ $30.

3. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida

AARGH Where?

4. I got a system 3 clearcoat small kit (about 8 oz or so?) from the local woodcraft for about $18. It's very hard and a lot more forgiving than west system as far as mixture ratio goes (a little bit off will not screw up the cure process).

Also, if you are going to go with west system watch out for the 205 hardener. It just cures too fast and the moisture in the wood will cause it to cloud. My first bass was coated with this and it got screwed because of this (don't want to sand and refinish). I'll use system 3 clear coat next time. It cures a lot slower (about a day vs 10-20 mins for the WS). If you MUST use west system, go for the 206 slow cure hardener.

Hope this helps.

5. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks will do..t

6. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
  7. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I got the system 3 clearcoat. I guess I should do the rear profile and totaly finish the bass before I use it shouldn't I?.T

8. Actually I prefer to do it the other way around (fingerboard first, bass last). That stuff can ruin your finish if it gets on it.

9. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    I'd do the fingerboard treatment before finishing but after shaping and rough sanding. Mask the surrounding areas when you do the Mirrorcoat.

10. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Will do how thick does it go on? Should I let it set up for about 10 min then wipe on just one brush coat? Should I build up little sides on the fingerboard and just fill the pool then use a radius block?

...........t

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I'm partial to these guys, since it's a five minute walk from my house to their shop :cool: http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/

They deal both West System and System Three. The tip about 205 vs 206 hardener is a good one, BTW. West System has a series of videos and printed tutorials on using epoxy with wood that you might want to check out. Many are available at the above site, some as downloads.

luck,

-----------CE