1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Westbury Track 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B. Graham, Sep 30, 2008.

1. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I'm mostly an upright player anymore, but I picked this bass up today, and have started cleaning it up. Sounds really really good. Plays easy. Need to learn how to set up a 3-point bridge.

Better pics here:

http://www.violinobasso.net/images/westbury

Attached Files:

2. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Ooh nice. I believe that's from the Matsumoku factory. Sexy as heck. And I imagine you got a nice deal too.

3. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I always liked those basses. They had sort of a quasi-Gibson vibe and the DiMarzio P-Bass pickups sound good and punchy with the the mahogony body. My friend in high school had the one pickup version which was called the Track II. He thought they were made in nearby Westbury, NY but they were actually made in Japan. They still turn up on eBay every so often.

BTW I'm an upright bass player too.:bassist:

- Steve

4. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL

You are indeed correct.

- Steve

5. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Thanks fellows.

There seems to be very little info online about them. Just a bit here and there.

It was a good deal. A few minor problems with the bridge, but no damage on the bass, it sounds big and fat, and has the OHSC with it.

An old teacher of mine had a P-bass with two sets of pick-ups. I'd forgotten how good that set up can sound.

By the way, if anyone knows how to clean 30 year old bass case "fur", drop me a line. Don't mind the wear and tear, but there's some aged funkiness to this case that's not too cool.

6. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    My first bass was a Westbury Track II. It was the maple body version though with 1 PUP. As much as I liked it, I really wanted a Fender Jazz after getting into Jaco. Long story short, I found the Jazz, and decided to make the Westbury fretless. Knowing nothing about how to do that, I yanked the frets out of it (taking some nice chunks of rosewood with it), filled the slots with plastic wood, and shellac'ed the neck to the point that it was impossible to move on it. I also painted the body in an abstract design reminiscent of the Partridge Family bus (and also based on Adrian Belew's guitars at the time), using acrylic paint right over the gloss finish - no sanding or nothing, LOL. Eventually traded it to a drummer for a Dr. Rhythm drum machine.

I would kill to find my old bass again, and I missed it so much that I bought another one (unbutchered) off ebay only this year (see pix). Great basses, but the only thing I don't care for is the 3 point bridge.

7. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What's the scale length on those?

8. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL

They are regular long scale 34"

- Steve

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Man I havent heard that name in a long time. Enjoy and all the best with it ! :bassist:

10. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I'm going to have to work to get used to playing it. How it sits on my knee is a bit different. This morning, after a lot of time with it last night, my wrist is killing me. Of course age middle age has something to do with with.

I'll need to get a new bridge for it. There's a section missing where the D-string ball is placed. The ball's just barely hanging on.

Also, what would you guys use for pick-up backing, meaning the material to provide resistance so when I want to raise the pick-ups, they will raise? I've not looked at what's there now, but expect whatever is there isn't functional any longer.

Thanks.

11. hf_raeck

hf_raeck

Nov 2, 2008
    Hello!
    It's a little time left, since you posted, that you have to replace the bridge of your bass.
    I buyed a Westbury take-2 on ebay from a guy who nearly killed that bass. He build in a third (blade-)pick up in a verry stupid way. The Pickguard was destroyed and a fat hole was made into the body [​IMG] [​IMG].
    The bridge was bent. So i buyed a replacement bridge for Gibson/Epiphone basses at ebay. Now everything sounds fine.
    [​IMG]I only have to make a new Pickguard now and to clean the Pick up's to have a good looking good sounding bass. (Temporarily i use a aluminium pickguard).
    The set up of the bridge wasn't difficult. :) I mounted the bridge parallel to the body. I adjusted the String action to 6-7 mm at the 20 fret for the A and D string. Then i corrected the action for the E and G string by lowering the bridge a little on the left or right side ). Adjusting the intonation is the same as on other bass bridges . Thats it.
    :hyper:

12. If you have a problem with the bridge,Hipshot came out with a 3-point bridge recently for Gibson EB/Les Paul Bass models.Should do the trick.