1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Western Movies

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jefenator, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I've been on a Western kick for a long time, now. Probably my favorite genre.

At the top of my list are the Eastwood pics with Sergio Leone (Fistful Of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More, The Good The Bad And The Ugly) and everything John Wayne did with John Ford (Stagecoach, Fort Apache, Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance to name just my fav's...) Those films absolutely rock - I could watch them over and over and over.

So how about it? What are your favorites?

2. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Blazing Saddles, The Man with no name trilogy, Rio Bravo, The Cowboys, Shane, The Wild Bunch, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Searchers, The Magnificent Seven, The Shootist...

I grew up on westerns.

3. You read my mind - Eastwood

4. The cowboys is great; Destry rides again has an AMAZING fight scene in which Marlene Dietrich throws a large, full mug of beer at Jimmy Stewart- whose back is turned- he ducks it but if he hadn't it would have friggin brained him. Check it out- he doesn't see it coming; it looks to me like he hears it.
    Also, anything by Sergio Leone.

5. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I actually really loved Open Range and I don't think it gets the credit it deserves as an awesome western, anyone else?

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I have never really been able to stomach John Wayne.

I like Eastwood's westerns. Silverado was a fave when I was a kid. Along with Butch and Sundance. I also like the modern ones - Tombstone, Unforgiven, Open Range was good but I hated how they made it so cartoonish when guys would get shot by the shotgun and go flying back 10 yards - so stupid. Appaloosa was good. Just watched that recently.

bc

7. thejrace

thejrace

Oct 3, 2008
    NYC
    i actually enjoyed high plains drifter, add that to the eastwood westerns

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I love all of the spaghetti westerns! For my money you can't go wrong with Sergio Leone Open Range is an awesome movie, as is Wyatt Earp.

9. Rooster Cogburn/True Grit, Mclintock, Hang 'em High, Big Jake, The Alamo, El Dorado, Sons of Katie Elder, Angel and the Badman (just too classic to suck), High Plains Drifter, War Wagon, MAgnificent 7 (come on guys, there is more than Wayne and Eastwood), 3:10 To Yuma (either one). Newer ones are kind of hit or miss. Dug Open Range and Tombstone, Appaloosa was pretty decent. I guess I just love Westerns! this should be a fun thread

Except Shane. You can keep that. And Dances with Wolves (semi western) was an hour longer than necessary.

10. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    WHAT?!?!? "SHANE, SHANE COME BACK!!!":D

I liked it.

11. I seem to recall AMC or TCM or one of them ran a Western Marathon a few years ago. It was called "Every Western ever made (except Shane)" No kidding! I laughed till I cried.

12. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    clint esatwood is really good in these spaghetti western.
    butch and sundance is a great film also imo. the newer stuff disappoints me, no focus on story telling but all gimmicks and special fx.

13. TallLankyBastyd

TallLankyBastyd

Jan 31, 2007
    Seattle
    Missouri Breaks

14. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    Anything involving Clint Eastwood, especially the Sergio Leone films, goes automatically to the top of my list. The Outlaw Josey Wales is good too. As for non-CE movies, Tombstone and Open Range are faves. Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday in Tombstone = priceless.

15. mvw, I see your point. Those on screen personas ofthe old westerns just don't carry through into newer ones very well. Kurt Russell and Kevin Costner seem at times like they are making a parody of the the old "Cowboy" character. Not intentionally I am sure, but they just kind of go over the top with the western genre stereotype like they studied them in film school and are showing off what they learned by hamming it up. Still, Kostner's take on aspects of the Western lifestyle in open range, particularly the scripting, was well researched and kind of new. They spoke and wrote very articulately by contrast to the ways they talked in the older westerns. His point was that the cowboy era was in victorian times and there was a lot of eloquence blended in with the praire slang. That and the realism of his shootout in Open Range. Instead of the dramatic building up to kill the most dangerous man, he just walks up and blasts him. Makes more sense tactically and actually came out more dramatic than the tired old device of fighting the big bad gunslinger very last.

16. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Perfect.

17. GBU, best of them all!

"there's two kinds of people in the world, those with a gun and those who dig... now start digging"

"if you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" x3

Clint is BOSS!

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You might like Appaloosa. It's more toned down and realistic IMO.

19. When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.

The wisest words ever uttered in a Movie, and almost never followed.

20. Jefen-
    You might also want to check out some of the classic Samauri movies from the early 60's. A lot of the spaghetti westerns were based on their scripts.
    The Seven Samauri = The Magnificent Seven
    Yojimbo = A Fistful Of Dollars.
    They're also a lot of fun!