1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Western Red Cedar

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Ken McKay, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Here is a photo of the Sitka from Alaska. The billets he sends are 9 inches at the base and at least 14 face side. And these are hand split! So you know what you are getting. Can't get much better than that. Most tops for bass are sawn these days.

2. This is from John in Alaska and is referring to Sitka spruce. I have no financial interest in this and am just passing it along to the luthiers. I can't really afford to stock up now but would get a billet or two if I could.

Ken.

I have sawed and split into a log that has been dead for 80 years or better
    and found super aged wood at the bottom of the tree. I believe this is about
    the hardest wood and has the best color of all the wood I have found for a
    long time. It will all make sample wood. You should get some of this. It
    will be tough wood and will have a very close line count 0f 20-30 and each
    bolt will have 8-10 tops in them. Thank you and look forward to your reply.
    John in Ketchikan, Alaska. USA

When he says 8-10 tops I believe he is referring to half, so 4 to 5 sets per billet??? Not sure though. They are cheap, he quoted $150.00 per billet, that is cheap!!

http://www.alaskatonewood.com/

3. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    Anton Krutz told me that cedar tends to spilt easily and to put in a soundpost patch when making the top if I use it.
    Anyone else know about this?

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I played a Douglas Gorman bass a few weeks ago and the top was made of red cedar. The bass sounded nice. I don't know if it had a soundpost patch or not.

How would the soundpost patch affect the tone of the bass?

5. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    How would the soundpost patch affect the tone of the bass?[/QUOTE]

Anton thinks it helps! I'm sure others would not agree.