1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Western spaghetti inspired music

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BillyRay, Mar 5, 2008.

1. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Lately, I've been more and more looking for a catchy melodic but franzied pace in my writing: steering away from complicated chord changes and harmony, but more looking at simple melodies that carry the song over. I'm in a rock band now and need to shed away some of that jazzy

I just love Ennico Morricone work, but it's hardly rock band material. What I would like though is something that could incoporate the wailing guitars (think Once upon a time in the West) and that has a good uptempo @ the same time.

I already know about Reverend Horton Heat, but I'm looking for approx the same vibe.

2. chrisx666

chrisx666

Oct 15, 2006
    Yorkshire UK
    Not much help I know, but you need to listen to the intro of an LP called 'Dawnrazor' by 90's UK band 'Fields of the Nephilim'. I'm pretty sure it's a cover of Morricone's 'Harmonica Man' done in a rock/goth stylee.

3. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Saturday 3/15 at Ottos in the East Village, we do several tunes that have the influence of spaghetti westerns, abeit played loud, hard and fast...Head Vs. Wall...

4. BillyRay

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Do you have a myspace or soemthing to listen to the songs ? I'm sure as heck ain't driving to NYC ;)

5. The Big Gundown - John Zorn doing arrangements of Ennio Morricone stuff. Good album, about a billion different moods and styles incorporating the Morricone thing. Mr. Bungle used to cover a bunch of Ennio Morricone, Disco Volante has some Morricone-esque stuff on it, and is a real good album in general. Also the second Fantomas album is all covers of film music, including Morricone's 'Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspician'. Cool band, that's the singer and bassist from Mr. Bungle with the drummer from Slayer and the guitarist from the Melvins.

6. moatilliatta

moatilliatta

Sep 24, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    Listen to Murder By Death!

If you want a specific song, they happen to have a song titled "Theme (for Ennio Morricone)" on their newest album which came out yesterday.

Their music in general though has that western feel, I HIGHLY recommend the album Who Will Survive, And What Will Be Left Of Them? to everyone.

7. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    This might be close....so ill sugest it Adam and the ants" Kings of the wild frontier", Over the Duel drummers you get Marco Paroni's some tome feed back guitar and other times very clean and Old style Italian western. Add to that Kevin Mooney's melodic bass and you have quite a cool sound.

8. Even the White Stripes do a 60's movie cover on EKCKYTHUMP which is very Morricone like- w/ vocals tho... can't think of name of it right now. Anyone......

9. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    My buddy Ed Wells has a real love for that sound, and there's enough baritone guitar on this record of his to make it qualfy -

http://cdbaby.com/cd/ejwells

I played on a few tracks, but he did most of the bass.

10. Fnord Explorer

Fnord Explorer

Feb 3, 2008
    Nibiru
    My band does an electronic version of "Gringo Like Me" by Morricone. It's a lot of fun.

11. rboyce

rboyce

Oct 12, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Check out a band from Canada called The Sadies. Their "Favourite Colours" album has definitely got some "Spaghetti Western" inspired songs. A great band. They occasionally back up Neko Case, too.

12. Wall of Voodoo played around with that genre at times.

13. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Beat me to it!

14. hallo

hallo

May 1, 2007
    Staffs, UK
    Even though i can't stand them didn't Metallica cover 'Ectasy of Gold'?

15. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    Calexico comes to mind. Not hard rocking, but still worth checking.

16. iScott

iScott

Jun 13, 2007
    Decatur, GA
    Great thread! I LOVE Ennio and I'm a huge fan of westerns. Look forward to listening to the suggested songs.

17. BillyRay

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Yeah thanks for all the suggestions. Ennio is probably THE best scorewriter ever, even better than that Williams guy who wrote the music for that space movie.

It's gritty, dynamic, majestic and moving all at once.

18. Yes, he is way more interesting then that Williams guy. Their is a lot of good film music out there though, all these guys are worth checking out:

Nino Rota
    Peter Thomas
    Bernard Herrman
    Jerry Goldsmith(some stuff more than others)
    Miklos Rosza

and probably my favorite, Carl Stalling. That's kind of a whole other can of worms though.