1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

weston thunder bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jps6642, Jan 6, 2012.

1. jps6642

jps6642

Dec 25, 2011
    Just picked a westone thunder 1A bass for £99 and I love it. It sounds great better than my p bass I fact. Are there any other thunder playerd out there?

2. I have a Westone Thunder IIb, and love it!

3. I just got a Thunder II, its the same as the Thunder III, with through neck and walnut wings and i love it too.

4. Like pretty much every other bass player in the UK who started playing in the late 80s or early 90s, I had a Westone Thunder - it was a 1A fretless with active electronics. Great instrument. Only downsides were that it didn't balance very well and it seemed to get through batteries very quickly, but they are very well regarded by those of us who did or currently do play them.

I'm actually quite surprised that the Westone brand has never been revived, given the constant level of interest in them. I'm sure they'd sell well.

5. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    I had a Westone Thunder 1A fretless. Bought it very cheap. Great quality instrument, made in Japan. But I just gave it away as a Xmas present. I never clicked with this bass as I'm not really into fretless and do not play with fingers. So I decided to give it away to an other bass player that is more into jazz and will appreciate this fine fretless instrument! :)

6. wolfmancharlie

wolfmancharlie

Nov 28, 2009
    There are a few of us that own and or use our Thunders to gig with yet.Try the Electra/Westone Club for a few more of us. I still gig with my Thunder 1 from time to time but mainly play my Westone X750PW Pantera at gigs now, among others. A quality built players bass.

7. RobbieS

RobbieS

Aug 23, 2012
    Sheffield,UK
    I've had a westone thunder 1 bass since 1982. I also have a 78 Fender P bass. Both of these babies weigh a ton. Balance on the Pbass is better, but both play equally well. Started gigging again after a 12 year hiatus and the thunder is first choice.